ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changing on Drip

Registered Member

Default Changing on Drip

I would like to set my tank up on drip, but I'm worried about the chlorine.

I would be using maybe 80% RO and 20% chlorinated Tap. The water wouldn't really have long to age.

How well would this work and would I need to treat the chlorine? If so, how would I do this? Tablets?

Any suggestions would be appreciated! I don't have time to change 50% per day and I think Drip could be my answer.

Default Re:Changing on Drip

I run mine through a chlorine filter( activated charcoal), and then a sediment filter....from there it goes to the first tank...just before the first drip nozzle, i add a "T" to the line so I can continue the water line after the first nozzle...I've got 4 tanks hooked up this way...I've got angel fry growing out in one of the tanks and I've had no troubles(from the dripper anyway...lol)

David,

I assume you mean you run it through the sediment filter and then the carbon... No point clogging up the carbon with garbage in your water.

Dave

you trying to bust my balls, clubine??!!! hahahahaha....
    yes, thanks for the correction(i just went and double-checked--hahaha) sediment first and then carbon...

If only using 20% tap water, is it nesseccary to dechlor it? I would think that it would be so diluted making it unneccessary to dechlor! ???

Registered Member

Thanks everybody!

I use the waste water from the RO as tap....and I believe that this is also dechlorinated. Either way it would also be diluted.

So.... I start drip today! Now they get the equivalent of 100% water changes daily and I don't have to do NUTTIN!

Thanks again!
    :P

ronre: 20% tap) The tanks that i drip water into are on straight tap-water(no RO) I was relating my experience...I'd imagine there would still be some chlorine in the water even at 20%, and he did mention there would be very little time for aging...there's probably even a little chlorine left in MY drip water... the filter says it removes 97%...

Registered Member

Thanks again,

Made the switch yesterday. So far everything's good and the fish seem quite pleased with the fresher water. ;D

Registered Member

Hmmmm. just a drop of chlorine can kill the bacteria in your bio-filters. The carbon filters, two in series is better, will remove the chlorine, by my test kits they do. Why take unnecessary chances.???

Smokey

Registered Member

I believe there is just one carbon filter in my RO kit.

I probably did take a bit of a chance there!

However, the fish are all smiling and appear much happer than when they were getting my infrequent water changes. Better color, more activity, more flirting, greater appetite. ;D

What's more, I did the drip in such a way that no hole in my tank was needed. Do most people using drip cut holes in their tank? I'd almost prefer the method I have now.

Im curious about your method without holes! Any pics perhaps?

Registered Member

Don't have the digital camera today, but hopefully this illustration works.

Ingredients:

-Coffee Cup (with a hole drilled in the side)
    -Syphon Tube
    -Silicon

that's great if it works, but i just wouldn't feel comfortable doing that with my tanks....if it loses syphon you could have an awful lot of water on the floor...
    at least with drilled bulkheads you know that as long as the water level is rising, the excess will be running out the hole in the tank...

Registered Member

The siphon actually goes to the bottom of my tank, unlike my illustration, hehe.

But yes, it is a bit riske. I bet there are some good flood stories on this forum even with drilled holes, though....just an inherant risk you assume with any sort of drip system.

I promise to post with pictures if I flood

I guess you can get comfortable with anything. I use a purchased filter box on my wet/dry that works on the same premise as the diagram. It works great, has never failed. But the risk is there. Mind you I would also be worried about what happens in a power failure, regardless of how you're overflowing the water... you'll be pumping cold water into your tank and your heaters will be dead.

Dave

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast