ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Drip system

Registered Member

Default Drip system

Hello,
    I am trying to find best drip solution for my 75G tank. I came across product that solves massive water changes.
    http://www.okvbc.com/aquarium%20supplies.htm
    I am wondering if anybody had experience using it.
    Thanks, Bob

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:Drip system

No, I've never used it. Since I would have to siphon the bottom of the tank daily anyway, it's just as easy to do a regular water change with my pumps and aged water.

As far as discus are concerned I see problems with this type of system. Why have rotting meat and feces disolving into the water column? It doesn't matter how much clean water you run thru the tank if you're running it into bacteria heaven. The whole point of a bare bottom tank is the ease of tracking down every last speck of waste for removal and wiping down the glass.

Now, this may be a wonderful system for Africans or other tropical fish. With discus, it's not simply how much water you can run through the tank, it's how clean the water is IN the tank.

Carol

Registered Member

Bod
    Most people using drip systems uncluding myself, drill the tank for an overflow, run a water line from the faucet through a carbon filter to remove chlorine, then in to the tank through a drip head, the drip heads are made for gardens, flower beds etc, and accept a 1/4 milky white tubing like the one that would go to your refrigerater, the drip heads are made to drip a certain amout of water in to the tank per hour, you just use the size you need to move what ever amount of water you want.
    And yes you still need to siphon the bottom.
    Dennis

I've got some problems with that product

- there's no pictures of any of the equipment so you have no idea how it works or what is included i.e. what exactly is a "metering block"? Is it just a dripper?
    - how is chloramine handled if you have that in your water
    - what is the maximum daily replacement rate? The site refers to 20-25% changed every 14 days.

If you want to set up a drip system go to this link:

http://www.thedripstore.com/

You can get all of the stuff you need for a single tank for about $10 + freight. All you'd need is a dripper or two (25¢ each), pressure regulator ($4.95), 50' of 1/4" tube ($3.15) and a couple of barbed T's (13¢ each). Just get a Y adaptor for you sink tap and hook it up. You will need a fitting or two from Home Depot to get the the pressure regulator to connect to the 1/4" hose. It's cheap & easy but you do still have to siphon the tank bottoms and it wastes water. I would drill the tank and run the hose to the drain. So skip the $100 Cdn ($65 U.S.) and just get the parts you need. Think it through, from tap to tank to drain and ask questions if there's something you don't understand.

Dave

Beat me to it again Dave......

RandalB

Registered Member

Thanks for all your answers and suggestions. I will try to build it myself. Is it practical to use overflow box instead of drilling tank?
    Thanks, Bob

Drilling you own tanks is much easier than you might imagine. The supplies you need will probably cost less than one good overflow box.

Registered Member

Hi all,
    I also wondered why there was no pictures of this contraption............then I thought of the reason! Can somebody please tell me why a ball valve, saddle tap and some tubing costs $100 dollars ??? Damn, I'm in the wrong business! Seriously though, that is exactly what it sounds like.

Steve

Registered Member

Dave_C,
    I just placed an order with http://www.thedripstore.com/. I thought about buying
    Standard Preset Pressure Regulators but on their web site it says:

When the system starts and stops you may have a small amount of water leak from a hole on the side of the regulator, this is O.K. and is part of how it works. You may even have a few drips during operation and this also is O.K.

I live in apartment building and my neighbors will be very disappointed if I have
    small leak from regulator. I am thinking about ordering Premium Preset Pressure regulators. It seems like they don’t have this problem.

-Bob

Yeah, they can drip where you don't want them to. Usually they drip where the dripper connects to the larger pipe. But if you only use 1/4 hose, run it from your tap to the tank, T off of the 1/4" hose to other drippers there should be no dripping at all. Mine dripped at the large hose running the length of my ceiling. I punched holes in that hose to run barbs with 1/4" hose to drippers to each tank. If you situate that hose so it's above the tanks you can make it so any leaks hit your tanks rather then the floor.

One thing that you'll need as well is a canister system that will hold a sediment filter & a carbon filter. Put those between the pressure regulator and your tanks and all crap & chlorine will be removed. You can get those at Home Depot.

Dave

Registered Member

Bob, Don't drill...Make one of these. Liz