ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: filteration and pumps

Registered Member

Default filteration and pumps

i was told by a "expert" at doctors foster smith that he wouldnt recommend a sponge filter (2-75 gal. filters) with a powerhead but recommended a sponge with a rena 400 and a bio-wheel. i wanted the powerhead or air pump setup with the sponge filters. will this work fine? i need everyone's opinion. he said the sponge is great for debre but not a good bio filter.

also has anyone used the kelapang vital or the instant amazon products?

how about discus essential or discus buffer?

i found a little giant pump 2-mdq-sc for 81.99, is this a good price?

also i have heard carbon is bad for discus, do most canister filters have carbon in them?

thanks for the help.

Registered Member

Default Re:filteration and pumps

I can answer one of the questions. Canister filters dont have to have carbon. Fluval has the most room for it, Eheim usually only has a thin pad which is recommended to be used for the first two weeks of operating the new filter, to allow for impurities to be filtered.

Both filter should be used in case one should break, this will keep o2 in the tank. No carbon, use noodles and even nitrate pads or po4 pads. Along with pre- filter on the canister or power filter to keeo the media from fouling early. The sponges with the power head will grow bacteria however he is right, not as good as the filter, the filter has more space to grow culture then the sponge. However I like a back up. I use both. Make sure you use check valves on your air lines above or at water level.

sorry as for the additives I would leave it along alot of bug juice i.m.o.

As for the pump discus like slow flows 4-6 tank turn over per hour is good.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Hi Sony:
    I don't use any of the water products listed . . . kelapang vital, instant amazon products, discus essential, discus buffer or carbon. Just Plain old aged tap water and lots of it.

What size is your tank? I use aqua Clear (hang on the back) filters with two internal sponges and a sponge prefilter on the water intake tube and air driven sponge filters.

Is the little giant pump 2-mdq-sc for 81.99, to pump from your holding tank to your fish tanks? I usually jsut buy large pond pumps from Walmart, but little giant is a good brand . . . .