AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fixing nitrite in tapwater

Real Name
    Rod Lewis

Default Fixing nitrite in tapwater

Lately my city ( Brisbane , Australia ) water supply has shown unacceptable levels of nitrite ( as high as .56 mg/liter lab tested ). Other tests revealed no ammonium or appreciable levels of nitrate, but the clorine test showed no clorine in the tapwater supply. Recently we have had a large amount of rainfall, and almost no rain for about 6 months previously. I suspect that there is a higher organic load in our water atm, and the amount of clorine the water board are using is insufficent to destroy the nitrite.

To remedy this problem it is as simple as adding extra clorine to the treatment tank, the formula for this is 2 X no2 X Volume/ Clorine concentration.

*no2 is the nitrite value in mg/l

*Volume is the amount of water to be treated in ml. To find this simply multiply the liter volume by 1000.

*The clorine concentration is mg/l

Clorine added at that strength will oxidize the nitrite into nitrate totally within 24 hours and 80% destruction within 10 minutes. I also had tested .5mg/l (half strength)to treat .5mg/l no2 and after 24 hours the no2 destroyed was between 50 to 65%.

As most clorine solutions are stabilized with caustic, there may be a slight rise in ph after treatment.

Hope this helps those with nitrite in the tapwater.

Rod

Registered Member

Default Re:Fixing nitrite in tapwater

Great advice Rod.
    Very good information.

Curious - do you know what the resulting " NITRATE " LEVELS might be ?

I keep forgetting just how much I appreciate our fresh mountain river water.

Smokey

Registered Member

This is such good info, it deserves to be stickied (or better!). Surely it should not be lost as it is invaluable to the right person!

Love your work Rodney!

Very good info thanks.

Barron

Registered Member

Hi there,
    I just checked my tap water today and noticed that it has 0.50 ammonia and 0.25 nitrites in it. (Tap water is usually 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites). My storage tank that I use for water changes today has 0.25 ammonia and 0.25 nitrites in it. My storage tank is a 60% tap water and 40% RO water mix. I have an 80 gallon show tank that has an undercabinet sump with bioballs for biological filtration. Can I use my storage tank water for my water change today hoping that my 80 gallon tank's biological filtration will take care of the low levels of ammonia and nitrites? If not, what do you suggest I do? I always treat my storage water with Amqel before adding to the tank (will take care of ammonia, not so sure if it takes care of nitrites). Thank you in advance for you help, I need it.
    Meri

Registered Member

Meri, if you have Prime, use that instead of Amquel since it will take care of the nitrites in addition to ammonia.

Registered Member

Rod L.
    Where are you ??

Registered Member

Just tested my tap water and found NO2 reading 0,1. Is this amount too much or can filters handle it? With big w/c - is there a need to handle the water?

Registered Member

aix;
    You are running a canister filter - Ehiem, correct.
    A reading of 0.1 Nitrites - should be consumed by the biological bacteria in the filter .
    ---- However; you might be safer doing smaller % w/c's. [ as apossed to a 50 -75%, at one time.]. Allowing for the bio-bacteria to "eat" the No2's. Less stressful [?].

Hmmmmm Nitrites in the drinking water - SCAREY !!!

Smokey

Registered Member

My thoughts exactly. But I feel much better after your statement. It seems that extremely dry summer and current heavy rains are causing this effect. Can't think of anything else.

Thanks again.