ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: linear piston air pumps

Default linear piston air pumps

ok i know several of you are running these... i bought mine from jason awhile back and just wired it yesterday, i'm getting ready to plumb it all and called jehmco to order some tap in air fittings.

the person i spoke to (male, unsure of name) asked me about what pump i have ect. he knew who i bought it from and gave his opinion on how to plumb it ect so i'm confused.

jason said to plumb it like a regenerative blower in a loop fashion using 1" pipe and bleed off the excess air.

jehmco (john maybe) said it will use less elect. with some back pressure and said i don't have to run a looped system. well actually we were more discussing bleeding the excess off not so much the piping..

so how should i plumb it, in a closed loop with no dead ends?
    should i adjust the dump valve so i have just enough pressure for my lines and this should be best energy wise?!

not offense to jason i appreciate the deal and your advice just wondering how others have plumbed their setup.

Default Re:linear piston air pumps

hmmm, I'll play around with both(looped, non-looped) see what happens.

Registered Member

I have been using their largest unit, the 120 for quite some time. It is plumbed into a closed 1" system, serving 68 tanks with multiple oiutlets in most of the big ones. I recall a similar discussion when I purchased mine that a small back pressure reduces consumption without damage however I checked the booklet just now and it says " do not overly restrict output by connecting pump to undersized distribution system."

I use all the air ( 5.2 cubic feet per minute ) mine produces however I would recommend that if you have a significant surplus I would bleed some of it off. The air flow through the unit is part of the cooling mechanism. The power consumption is not worth considering because it is so small to begin with at maximum.

Bob,
    Upper Canada Discus

I have Jasons pump and I have it in a line with both ends closed. It would be more efficient in a loop i'm told but it has about twice as much pressure than I currently need. I bleed off A LOT of air. I am only guessing but I think you could run 50 or so sponge filters with it. HTH Rich

I have jason pump. It is awesome. I have about 55 sponges driven with it. It is closed. I use to have bleeder on it but found that most of the time I don't usually us it. So I did modify to be used without the bleeder....I found it to be even better.....