ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Emperor 400 Sump

Registered Member

Default Emperor 400 Sump

I was just curious how people who use emperor filter's on their discus tank stock them with media...I was considering just pouring a bunch of bio-balls into the sump, but I'd like to get an idea of what everyone else does first...

Registered Member

Default Re:Emperor 400 Sump

I have the Emperor 280 and I removed the carbon/sponge filter media and put one sponge in its place then stuck a sponge in the grey plastic piece/filter. Seems to be working great...water's crystal clear. I'd like to get some kind of pre-filter going on the intake but, its so large...the plastic "pre-filter" seems to be doing OK...I rinse that out every day. Good Luck!

Registered Member

Over time, I have tried more than one method. I have done it the same as Bennett and also have just cut up small pieces of sponge and filled the sump with them.
    The last thing I have tried is to remove all the blue media and carbon from the blue filters and staple a piece of 1 inch sponge over the entire black frame. Then just insert in the slots and it fits perfectly. You can get sponge sheets at any craft store.
    All of these worked fine. Don't know if one is better than the other, but the last is more convenient to clean and change.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

No staples they rust. You can put any brand of aquarium sponges in - cut to fit. I did't use the gray baskets for carbon either - all sponges. Rinse and reuse for ever.

Registered Member

Carol, LOL

You caught me on that one! I thought of the metal before I stapled them, but did it anyway. I'm just a wild man living on the edge.