AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Aquaclear filters and turbulence

Registered Member

Default Aquaclear filters and turbulence

This question is for Carol,

If I recall correctly Carol you like the Aquaclear's over a canister or the like.
    Anyways, my question was this. I have read several places that discus don't like surface turbulence or alot of flow (water movement)
    they prefer calmer waters. I am using an Aquaclear filter and was wondering if you had any tips or suggestions on how to rig up some
    kind of diffuser or whatever to reduce the mini-waterfall that occurs when using an Aquaclear filter.

dave

Default Re:Aquaclear filters and turbulence

Ok, ok! Im not Carol but may I put my 2 cents in?

discus don't like surface turbulence
    Im not sure that discus really mind surface agitiation and in actual fact, my tanks do have quite a bit of surface movement with no ill effects (Id rather have lots of agitiation to increase gas exchange between C02 and 02). Matter a fact, sometimes my discus like swimming right in front of the filters or pipe where the current is the strongest (perhaps for excersise or something).

Where surface turbulence does become an issue is in planted tank when injecting C02.

[quote author=djknightingale link=board=1;threadid=15755;start=0#msg162853 date=1074621130]
    This question is for Carol[/quote]

damn :-\ I had an answer for ya...probably the same one Carols gonna give ya....oh well :P

Tony

Registered Member

Tony,

Alright let me know your response, just maybe voice out the words in a womanly voice while your typing (hahaha)

dave

Dave

"Insert high pitched Carol Voice".....Dont worry about the current....Healthy discus enjoy it. As long as there's a quiet spot in the tank for them to rest they'll be fine.

Tony ;D

Registered Member

Nice work Tony,

the voice over was amazing!!!

dave

Registered Member

I use two AC 500's on my 100 gallon tank with 8 discus and they don't seem to mind.

What I did notice they weren't fond of were the air strips I had in the tank and the output on the magnum 350's I had...seems that water pouring in isn't an issue for them while water being pushed in is...if that makes sense.

Jason

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

[quote author=Tony_S link=board=1;threadid=15755;start=0#msg162873 date=1074627627]
    Dave

"Insert high pitched Carol Voice".....Dont worry about the current....Healthy discus enjoy it. As long as there's a quiet spot in the tank for them to rest they'll be fine.

Tony ;D

[/quote]

LOL, You took the words out of my mouth, Tony.

I love the aquaclears, the fish don't mind the waterfall at all. When I run water back into the tanks with pumps & 3/4" hose, they play in it, swimming back & forth. I read that OWT when I started & do not believe it, at least IME. (old wise voice 'bout an Old Wives Tale, probably disseminated by old men) :funny: :funny: :funny: :funny: lol, Dottie ;D

I like aquaclears, I have a couple whishpers, and a biowheel, but the aquaclears are tops! No problem with fish vs currents. I use at least 6 times turnover in my tanks (oscars are more than 10 times)

Registered Member

Tony it was just like Carol was speaking. That was amazing.

My discus love the AC and also love to play in the bubble walls..

Karen

I find that my fish spend a lot of time at the front of my planted tank (I have two Aquaclear 300's at either end of the front of the tank) and go to the back in the plants if they want to rest a little. Actually half of them sleep by the intake at night, the other half sleep in the plants.

I use co2 via a carbon block which I put in to help lower the pH not merely to help the plants. I have it on a low setting and am finding that the plants lhave improved greatly since I sarted and look great so I can't be losing too much with the surface movement from the Aquaclears. I do keep the tank well filled up so the the water "slides" in rather than falling in. I actually also have an air driven sponge at the opposite end from the co2 carbon block. So in my experience you can have the aquaclears, and co2 and have happy fish and plants.

HTH, Lesley