ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Barebottom Paint question

Registered Member

Default Barebottom Paint question

my birthday is coming up in 20 days and since i cant afford to buy the discus myself, my parents and i are gonna split the cost and im gonna get some more. I am going to turn my 40 gallon barebottom. Now...since it is already setup, im not able to paint the bottom of the tank. It sits on a black stand, so will there be a problem? im gonna use butcher paper on the back of the tank. anything else im forgeting. I have a piece of drift wood that im keeping in the tank for my gibbiceps pleco (cant get rid of him...hes my favorite) and that also keeps my water at a constant 6.6 ph. sound like a good plan? oh ya, is there gonna be a problem with only 4 discus in the tank???? it comes down to them money issue.... will 4 be ok? Thanks

Default Re:Barebottom Paint question

Sounds good to me GoodMike.

Maybe you can slip some painted cardboard underneath the tank. But it will also be ok without anything. Later if you get a new tank you still can paint the old one.

4 Discus should be fine.
    You might want to start to look around for a used 20 or 30 gal. for future new fish to Qt. Garage sales is a good way to find those. Or maybe some relatives or friends have one somewhere in a corner.

hth Ronald

Registered Member

THANKS, i was hoping 4 would be ok, i have 2 others in another tank that get along by themselves, so i was hoping even numbers are good. ill see if i can slip somthing under the tank next water change. I was able to remove 50% of the gravel today...WHAT A MESS, and when my tank stablizes again, ill take out the rest. so far, so good! in 20 days, ill be in discus heaven. (maybe i can get a male that is already fertile and i can put him with my female that keeps laying eggs...since my male doesnt do his job...yet)
    THANKS AGAIN

Hey....why dont you buy a sheet of light blue foam insulation and tape it to the tank. It beats taking the time to paint and might aid in keeping the tank warmer between heater cycles...just my 2 cents.

Gordon

Registered Member

well, ive got all the gravel out now...it looks really nice. im excited for my b-day now. here are a couple pics, let me know what you think

Registered Member

btw, i have nothing on the back yet, im gonna use some white butcher paper i think.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

It looks nice and clean ;D

Registered Member

IM LOVIN IT! there is still some sediment that is in the bottom that is settling as time goes on, but its not too bad. all it needs now are the discus! has anyone used battery powered syphons?, the ones that dont take any water out? i was wondering if i could use that to get the stuff off the bottom, not to replace water changes, ill keep doing them often, but it would be much easier if i saw stuff at the bottom of the tank as i was walking by to quickly suck that up instead of pulling out the python syphon.

Registered Member

Hi
    I use the battery operated vacuums. They work well. The only drawback is when they get water in them they stop working and you need to keep your finger on the power button, which is a real pain while you are moving it around the tank. I have had to replace 3 vacuums over the last year. Watch the angle and keep the top out of the tank and you are fine...

Karen