ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Hydro Sponges and AC

Registered Member

Default Hydro Sponges and AC

Hi

Can anyone tell me which Hydro Sponge (sponge) will fit prefectly or tighty into an AC500????

Thanks

Default Re:Hydro Sponges and AC

Why do you want to place a Hydro sponge into a A/C ?

Ronald

Registered Member

Ronald because i like the fine pores in the Hydro sponges compared to the sponge in the AC500 and i dont wanna use the Carbon so im planning to put a Hydro sponge into the AC500 + the orginial AC sponge

Makes sense.

I know that some use sponges (self made) that can be cut to the propper size. I think I have seen a pic. in the DYI section. They where fine pored and might suit your needs.
    I know Jean used them but am not sure if she still does.

hth Ronald

Registered Member

hmm thanks Ronaldz im not sure where to go get the sponges, i noe wut to look for but dont noe where to go buy them so i juss figure it would be easier to juss get a hydro sponge

Registered Member

hi, a sponge with fine pores will restrict water flow, and possibly cause the filter to overflow. just something to consider. ,jason p

Registered Member Keystonediscus's Avatar

Jason Excactly right. Aquaclear designed the filter to work with the coarse filters for the reason of Flow rates. The fine sponge will clog up to fast and over flow the filter. I would suggest a layer of filter floss in the bottom of the filter with the sponge on top. This keeps the sponge from cloging up and makes it much easier to rinse. the filter floss can be rinsed 2-3 times before it gets discarded too. I've been using this method for years and it works great. I rairly have a cloudy tank.

If your still insisting on a fine filtered sponge you could add a Filter Max Sponge to the uplift tube to the filter this will screen out the large debri. Dissagvantage of this is the big particles stay in your tank to decay there. Isnt the Idea of a filter to help get that stuff out of the tank. JMHO Use the floss layer with the coarse sponge on top like I suggest. forget the other idea

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I use the blue fluval 2 cylinders. When rinsed daily they do not restrict the flow of the aqua clear.