AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: life of hydro spong? and filter's spong??

Registered Member

Default life of hydro spong? and filter's spong??

When should I replace them?
    Can I just wash them and re-use them?

Registered Member

Default Re:life of hydro spong? and filter's spong??

hi,

as long as the sponges aren't falling apart sure you can use them again. if they weren't used in a hospital tank with meds etc. squeeze them in some warm water and you should be good to go. if they were used in a hospital tank let them soak for a few days in a very very strong salt (non-iodized) solution or boil them in water on the stove for 20 minutes. squeeze the heck out of them and rinse them good. i've even used bleach, but you really need to rinse them good and let them dry out completely until you can't smell bleach anymore.

good luck, john

Default Re:life of hydro spong? and filter's spong??

you can also microwave them to kill anything in water.
    just rinse in aquarium water to rinse. if you are just wanting to rinse..and keep your biofilter going..you have to be careful not to overrisnse. or you will lose all your good bacteria. then..big problems unless you have another filter running also. i use two hydros per tank or more so i can rinse at alternate times. if you do use these...and you ltet them get too dirty...espcecially in our water..you will end up with your ph sliding very fast.
    if your asking about just cleaning them to use at a later date..yes clean them well then microwave them. bleach will break them down.
    how are you Leechihan..how are the fish?