AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: How often should I clean my two sponge filters?

Registered Member

Default How often should I clean my two sponge filters?

I know its a good rinse in tank water but how often should I do it? every couple weeks? every week?

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:How often should I clean my two sponge filters?

Depends on fish load and food. If they are really dirty when you squeeze them out then clean them more often. You'll get a feel for it :P

In addition, clean one sponge at a time not both to keep some nitrobactors (good bacteria) in the filter.
    Jimmy

Registered Member

Hey Chris!

The answer on that one runs the gamut!
    Some do theirs daily, others every couple months and everything inbetween. Most have nothing to do with fish load I have found in delving deeper. I think it is what is 'right' in the eyes of the fish keeper.
    I started out with daily then I went to a couple times a week. Now I do it on an 'as needed' basis-some tanks I do more often than others.
    IMO daily is excessive. I'd start out with every couple days to begin with, and like Carol said you will get a feel for what is needed for you and your fish.

Jean ;D 8)

Registered Member

Let the water be your guide.

If the tank looks dirty or cloudy, then you probably need to squeeeze the filters.

I went a full week, and that was too long for the 20 gallon with 23 1"+ babies in it, feeding 6+x/day. I gave the first sponge a good squeeze one day, then the other the next. The tank is clear again, not hazy.