ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: remineralising ro water

Registered Member

Default remineralising ro water

Hi. I know people have differing opinions on this but I was wondering what you recommend. My tap water comes out at ph 8, kh 10, gh 15. Would it be better for my fish if I use 100% ro right/bicarb of soda, or just mix with tap water. Ideally I'd like to get a ph of just under 7, gh of between 7-8, kh 3-4, - what's the best way to achieve this? without using co2.

Actual tank stats are ph 7.8, kh 3, gh unknown as liquid tests do not register gh apparently. I use a tds meter to measure out my water change water. I'd really like to find a way to lower ph, without risking kh/ph crash. Is this correct that anything under kh 3 is putting tank at risk of ph crash? I carry out water changes every few days (15%)

thanks

carol

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Default Re:remineralising ro water

Are you trying to breed wild discus? If not you can mix RO 50/50 with tap to breed domestics and let the pH fall where it may.

Juveniles may grow just fine in the water you have now . . . but you will need to change 30% or more EVERYDAY for best growth.

My fish are in pH 7.8, GH 12. I use a liquid drops kit form aquarium pharmecuticals - 12 drops = GH 12

Here is a good tread regarding Recon. of 100% R/O.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index...=15776;start=0

hth Ronald

Registered Member

Carol, does the api remineraliser register with liquid reagent test kits? the kent ro right powder doesn't register with liquid test kits which makes it really difficult for me to know when and if I've acheived the desired gh level.

cj

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I don't know. I always just mix a percentag of tap back with the RO and that does register as GH 6 (or whatever number)

Real Name
    Jim

Carol,

I know I'm in a minority here, but I use all RO and remineralize with a mix of RO Right and Electro Right, about 4 parts RO Right and 1 part Electro Right (roughly). I then add Discus Essentials for trace minerals etc. I don't have a ph problem cause I run RO/DI so mine comes out of the filter around 5.8 - I add PH Stable to bring the ph up to about 6.4. Haven't had a crash since I started using the PH Stable.
    hth
    Jim