ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginners setup

Registered Member

Default Beginners setup

I am new to discus and plan on setting up a 55g discus tank. Here is what I plan on getting.

Tank, Stand, Shop light, 2 200W Heaters, AC300 , Air Pump, Sponge filter, Trash Can for ageing water, Air pump for trash can, Heater for trash can, Mag drive to refill tanks after w/c, beef heart and other foods for discus, and discus I plan on getting from Ryan AKA Dkarc@aol.com.

Do you guys see any problems with my setup. Please give me some feedback on how I should change this or just general things I should know about keeping discus.

Registered Member

Default Re:Beginners setup

don't forget the glass canopy

Registered Member

I think im just going to go to home depot and buy a piece of acrylic or something and cut it to size.

Registered Member

What kind of air pump would be good for a 55g tank running 1-2 sponge filters?

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

I use good old Whisper air pumps from Walmart.

You may be able to "age" (circulate/agitate) your storage water with the water pump and not need an air pump for it.

I'm sure Ryan can give you tons of advice ;D

Registered Member

id go with glass canopy .......acrylic scratches and isnt the strongest......plus the glass canopy arent really that pricy and they looks better......but thats just me ....oh by the way, u can never read and learn to much from this forum or any other information sources....better to learn from someone elses mistakes and not yours -----AndyM

I'm pretty sold on the Tetratec Deepwater filters. Especially if you are going to run air to a deep barrel. They are quite, reliable, and reasonably priced if you shop around online. I think I paid about $16 for a dw-24.

Registered Member

I think ill go with that Tetratec Deepwater pump for the trash can. It is only 14.99 on drsfosterandsmith.com. Im trying to go for the cheapest stuff lol. I want to get all the stuff for my tank for under $200.

Hi IMO and experience the AC 300 is too small go for the 500. These fish emit a very large amount of wate and require a lot of feedings. Their isn't enough of a price difference to make the 300 worth it. One thine I didn;'t see mentioned is a prefilter. Please don't make the mistake of skipping this little piece. It is best not to use carbon in the filter, just use 2 foam inserts and a sponge prefilter.
    GOod luck w/ you new venture and welcome to Simply Discus
    HTH
    Peace,
    peter

Registered Member

Ok ill go for the AC500. Yes I planned on using a prefilter sponge and 2 internal sponges in the AC500. I will use no carbon because as you guys said it may cause diesese in discus.

Registered Member

Ok, im changing my plan and im wondering if its ok. I am getting a used AC300 from someone that lives nearby. In the 10g tank in my room I have a AC200. I plan on taking the fish out and putting the already cycled AC200 on the 55g with tha AC300. Also I think it would help if I put the gravel from the 10g to help with cycling the new filters. My question is with the AC300 & AC200 will that be enough filtration or will I need sponge filters?

Hi there,

It's always a good idea to have a sponge filter going in the corner. You could combine a Hydro V sponge with the Aqua300 and be in good shape.

What's important is that you keep everything clean...rinse the prefliter sponge each day in your used tank water after performing the daily water change, and regulary rinse actual sponge filters and media foam using the same process, combined with keeping the inside of the plastic filter clean as well.

Another reason to keep a sponge filter; if you need to set-up a quarantine or hospital tank, you'll instantly have a healthy filter to place in that tank.

Howie

Registered Member

How am I able to combine a hydrosponge with the AC300?

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Failure to communicate, lol. Howie meant to use a Hydro sponge in addition to an aqua clear

Registered Member

Oh ok. So if I use the AC300 and 1 sponge filter I wouldnt need the extra AC200?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast