AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Carbon in the filter

Registered Member

Default Carbon in the filter

I am a newbie in this hobby and have not yet purchased any discus. I have been researching on water conditions and etc on the discus fish. I have set the ph to 6.5, hardness is around 100ppm, ammonia levels and nitrite levels are maintain at 0. I do have a few tetra in the tank until I buy some discus. Today I read that carbon in the filter will later on cause disease for discus in the tank. Is that true?? Any suggestions on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks.

david

Registered Member

Default Re:Carbon in the filter

Nevermind, i already found the answers. Thanks for looking.

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

No Need for carbon in the filter. You will be doing water changes to keep the water and tank clean.

Probably no need to adjust the pH. What is the pH of a cup of tapwater after it has set on the counter overnight?

Keep it as simple as possible. Lots of clean, warm water with stable pH is the key to healthy discus.

Registered Member

Thank you Carol. I tested my water conditions before and it orginally was around 7.2-7.5 ph and hardness was around 100 or less. That's pretty much around the same conditions Cary at GLD's condition are. Maybe I should consider buying discus from him in the near future. Then I wouldn't have to worry too much on messing around with the water. Thanks again.

david

Not to mention he has darn nice fish. ;D