ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: cycling my tank

Default cycling my tank

Here we go, what are some good fish to cycle my 29 gallon tank? How many and how long will it take for optimal biological efficiency. Another question I have is, can I just throw in another sponge filter at any time after the cycling of the tank. I'm using a bio-wheel 170 at the moment.

Default Re: cycling my tank

The best way to cycle a tank is using the fishless cycling method. The advantage of using fishless is being able to 'grow' a large bio filter to support the full capacity of your tank. To speed up the cycling process, 'seed' the filter or tank with filter media from an existing tank.

The ammonia you buy must be clear, non scent and doesnt foam when shaken. Just add 8ppm to begin with and in a couple of days start testing the ammonia daily. Wait until the ammonia starts dropping and keep adding ammonia daily. Now measure the nitrite. This is the longest stage of cycling. After a week of nitrite, also start measuring nitrate levels. Once ammonia and nitrite levels are 0, do a 90% wc and add 5ppm ammonia. After 24 hours test ammonia/nitrite. If both are 0, your tank is ready for fish!

Btw, what kind of fish are you planning for your 29G?
    In discus limbo atm! So much to do and so little time!

Registered Member Carol_Roberts's Avatar

Ammonia is the safest way to cycle a filter. After you have a cycled tank (filter) you can run another filter in it for a couple of weeks to "seed" it with good bacteria
    Attached Images Attached Images

Well there is a local store here with a few blue discus. Don't know much about them but they look nice and I can't get any from anywhere else. I'm in the Azores Portugal. STRANDED OUT HERE WITH NOTHING!!!! It's cool though, he has plenty and they are very small. They seem to be healthy. Maybe not after the time it takes for me to cycle my tank.

how much is 8 ppm?

Registered Member

That's where you need the ammonia test kit. Ammonia concentrations will vary and it loses concentration over time, so I would mark down how much ammonia you added to get to the ppm level you need. Best to add too little to start off with and continue adding and testing to get to the ppm. You may want to experiment in a 5 gallon bucket first...that'll give you a rough approximation to the quantity you need.

I do have an Ammonia test kit but just as far as adding ammonia to the tank. What is the correct amounts?

As mentioned, keep adding ammonia and continue testing the ammonia levels until you get the 'target' level. Initially I start off with 5-8ppm ammonia. What kind of test kits do you have? Do they come with the plastic thingies? I use one just for ammonia. In a 20G, 1 squirt is around 1-2ppm I think.
    In discus limbo atm! So much to do and so little time!

Add a capful of ammonia to the tank - wait 10 minutes and test the water. If under 5ppm add another capful of ammonia - wait 10 minutes and test the water. When the ammonia starts to drop I usually add a capful or so every other day to keep ammonia between 3 - 5 ppm. You do not want too much ammonia

Thank you. Lots of good info. If I keep this up, how long will it take for my tank to be completely cycled. Just an estimate.

4 - 6 weeks. It is not faster than cycling with fish, but you do get a larger bed of good bacteria at the end of the cycling period and you do not have to worry about dither fish bringing in parasites or disease.

Thanks Carol! Sounds good. I actually kept discus about 6 years ago and I used fish to cycle the tank. The Discus did get ill and I really do think the fish I used to cycle the tank caused it. Good info

got some bad news. impossible to find the ammonia on this island. I can't find any that are suitable. they all have surfectants or dyes. WHAT TO DO???

Carol,
    How many tanks do you have? It looks like a lot. WOW

Basshead read this article in the Library on fishless cycling
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com//showthread.php?t=25298

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast