AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glass lid hinges

Default Glass lid hinges

Does anyone know of a place that sells the hinges for glass aquarium lids seperately? Or know of something that can be used as a hinge? I know some people make a silicone hinge but I've never tried it and would rather just replace the old one if I can.
    Thanx,

Kacey

Default Re: Glass lid hinges

Contact your local pet shop. They should be able to get them for you....

RandalB

I have some glass from some glass shelving units and im gonna try to cut them and put hinges on them for some tops. Hopefully they arent tempered but i guess i'll find out soon .... lol.

My question is .... i dont want any sharp edges ... so is it possible to sand glass to bevel the edges?

Quote Originally Posted by CAGE-RATTLER
    I have some glass from some glass shelving units and im gonna try to cut them and put hinges on them for some tops. Hopefully they arent tempered but i guess i'll find out soon .... lol.

My question is .... i dont want any sharp edges ... so is it possible to sand glass to bevel the edges?
    Cage...you can sand the edges of the glass with emery cloth...I'd suggest wrapping it around a wooden dowel or around a block of wood to protects your hands and fingers
    hth
    Jarrod
    Discus an ADDICTION but at least a legal one with no KNOWN cure! 2 -55 gal 1 -29 gal 1-25 gal 6 Sunshines,2 Candy Apple Reds,4 Scribbled Reds,4 White Diamonds

Real Name
    Stud Muffin

If you just want to knock the sharp edges off you can use some wet/dry silicon carbide sandpaper and a sanding block. You can also use a diamond grit sharpening stone (for knifes). If you want to "bevel" or "round" the edge...you'll have to go with something like a belt sander with a silicon carbide belt.

Tony
    The problem with people idiot proofing things, is the resulting evolution of the idiot....

Cage, silicone carbide finishing paste, gloves, goggles ans patience! (use it on a finishing pad on a ginder or power drill attachment)
    Good luck,
    Paul.

You can use just regular old sandpaper to take the edge off cut glass. I've done it many times myself. Any medium to fine grade has worked great for me.
    Dave

Thanx .... i guess my belt sander i got for redoing my deck this past year will get some more work out of it.

My aquarium sells just the hinges. I do not know how much they are but if you give me the size you need and what color I can get you a price.
    Frank

Registered Member

would plexi glass work just as good as glass??

Real Name
    Stud Muffin

Quote Originally Posted by chago09
    would plexi glass work just as good as glass??
    IME...No. Thicker plexi 1/4"+ MIGHT work...but anything less than 1/4" warps badly when one side is exposed to more himidity than the other.

Tony
    The problem with people idiot proofing things, is the resulting evolution of the idiot....

That's true Tony, but I still used plexiglass as lids. Every week or so I'd just remove the lid and flip it over and it would start warping the other way. I liked it because I use no hinges, my tanks are all locally made and odd sizes and I have no fear that the loose lid will break if I smack it into the tank or stand. I also use egg crate as lids on other tanks where my concern is fish jumping rather then trapping humidity. It doesn't warp at all if supported on all sides without huge open runs of space.

Real Name
    Willie

Glass is not much better than plexiglass. You might get away with 1/8" glass for a 20" or 24" lid. I made 36" lids with 1/8" glass and it droops in the middle. If I could do it again, it would be 1/4" glass.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast