ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Picked up a Gorilla Rack today!

Default Picked up a Gorilla Rack today!

I stopped over costco and they only had one model of the gorilla racks but it was just what i was looking for.

I love the finish on it (not that its real important)........... its called silver vein and looks like a black & silver metal flake.

Now instead of having 5/8ths particle board for shelves ........... this one has 5/8th grey Melamine laminated shelves that are supposedly resistant to moisture, alkaline, oils & some acids. The laminate is on top & bottom and all sides and looks to be sealed very well.

Looking at the gorilla rack website i dont see anything with these type of shelves so im assuming its a new product or version of one of the others.

The model # is GRZ8460-WDI or GRZ8460 - 5

Its 48 x 18 x 72 with 5 shelves and shelf weight limit is 1500 pounds each and it has the Z bar braces.

This model can be setup as a storage rack or a workbench or you could have 2 - 36 inch racks. The uprights are split in the middle and theres an insert that goes into the top and bottom upright to tie them together. Unfortunately that insert is plastic which i wasnt crazy about. BUT ......... the way its designed the middle shelf locks into both the top and bottom to also lock them together so i dont think its really weak in that area. The downside to that is the middle shelf has to be at the middle point giving you less flexabilty to position shelves!! With it like that .... the middle shelf sits 36.5 inches off the ground.

Im trying now to figure out the shelf positioning for them to fit my tanks.

At the moment im just using that middle shelf right where it is and going from there. Now i have to figure out if i should put the 55 on the bottom shelf or on the middle shelf.

If i put it on the bottom shelf it will only be 6.5 inches off the ground and leave a gap at the top of 6.75 inches to the bottom of the middle brace.

The shelves can be adjusted up or down in increments of 1.5 inches.(but i cat move the middle one)

If i put the 55 on the middle shelf & the 29 on the bottom the 29 would be higher off the ground by 3 inches since its only 18 inches high compared to the 55 at 21 inches high.

I was hoping to have 3 racks of tanks and put some 20's & 10's on the top shelf but im starting to wonder if that will be possible. I was also hoping to store some other things on the very top ............. but that wont be possible if i do use 3 rows for tanks.

Im really starting to wish i had shorter and wider tanks now .... grrrrr. Both the 55 & 29 is only 12.5 wide and the shelves are 18.5 wide so im not utilizing the space efficiently............ and with shorter tanks ........ a 3rd row wouldnt be a problem.

Heres a pic of the 8460 model on the gorilla rack site.
    Everything is the same except the one i have has the laminated shelves.

By the way it only costs $64.99

Im looking for suggestions as to where to position the shelves and how to lay the tanks out. Not sure if the breeder tanks will be ok on the bottom or the grow out tank on the bottom and if 6.5 inches off the ground is to low for either?

I guess i could sit the whole thing on some 4 x 4's and raise the whole thing up but that would probably look a bit tacky. This is in the back room of my house which is also my office. (not that many customers come here)
    Last edited by CAGE-RATTLER; 12-30-2005 at 03:33 AM.

Default Re: Picked up a Gorilla Rack today!

You could always raise it up with some 55lb cinder blocks (or colored pavers)that might not look bad (since it might match the color some what). Also, you might find the extra space on each shelf useful for air pumps etc.

I guess looks arent going to matter to much anyway since my room is carpeted and they reccoment not putting it on carpet so i'll probably cut out some plywood for a base.

The paver blocks are a good idea tho ........ and i might not need the plywood then and i believe i have some out back ....... red tho ... lol.

I did a bit more cypherin after my last post and i know i have to leave the center shelf braces where they are (to tie the top and bottom together) but i could just leave off that shelf and have the 55 come right to the top of the brace or just above it. The braces are only 2.25 tall which isnt much bigger that the black trim on the tank.

Then it would be 15.5 inches off the ground! and the second shelf for the 29 would be perfect and give me about 7 inches gap above both tanks. Then that would give me 20.5 inches from the top shelf to the cieling for some small tanks or storage area. And i'd have 15.5 inches of storage on the bottom too.

For some reasurance .... i might add a 2x3 brace under each shelf in the middle and put a strip on the wall and drill a couple holes thru the rackto tie it to the wall.

That just might work out!

Whatcha think?

55 on the bottom and 29 in the middle?

Now if i can keep my cats from fishing in the bottom tank i'll be ok .... lol.
    Last edited by CAGE-RATTLER; 12-30-2005 at 03:43 AM.

Registered Member Greg Richardson's Avatar

Just remember to give yourself enough room at the top to work in your tank.
    That is a common complaint I've heard from others that they wish they had more room.
    http://www.atthegateministries.org/index.html

Yeah ........... thats definately on my mind.

Just trying to figure the best way to set it up and still have room to work.

I think i wish i had 18 inch wide tanks with no more than 16 inches high.
    That would make things much easier with this stand.

And with the 29 on one shelf .............. there really isnt any room for another tank there so thats alot of wasted space. Only gives me and 18 x 18 corner and 6 inches wasted behind the tank. I guess i could use that for food and supplies and the pump ............. but it sure would be nice to have another tank there.

They sell 18 x 18 cubes? lol

Maybe down the road i can pick up one of the 36 wide racks and get a couple 50 gallon breeders and use a devider to have 4 breeding cubes or 2 cubes and a 50 grow out. Then just add another 55 or 75 to the 48 inch rack.

Haveing to have that center brace where it is ..... is definately limiting me too.

Oh well ............ live and learn.

Registered Member

please post picture once you get it going, also are you planning to add any kind of support to the rack.

Quote Originally Posted by tl211
    please post picture once you get it going, also are you planning to add any kind of support to the rack.
    I might use a 2x3 down the middle of each shelf but these laminated shelves seem stronger than just particle board and i'll be way under the 1500 pound shelf limit.

If the tanks were 18 wide like the shelf i wouldnt bother.

The length of the 55 is perfect tho and will actually have good support on the ends. The brace has a 5/8th flat edge all the way around so there will be metal under the edges.

The inner demensions of the shelves are 48.5 x 18.5 so a 75 gallon would be perfect with these. Hell...... you probably wouldnt even need the shelf then, maybe make a tie strap (or brace) from front to back to keep the braces from separating.

Now that i think about that ........... i may just run a 2x2 in the middle from front to back and drill a hole in the front and back braces and put a screw in to lock them in better instead of running something from side to side.

I'll probably attach it to the wall somehow to for some added assurance.

So how would you guys setup a 48 x 18 x 72 rack??

Im open to suggestions and might even sell off these tanks and pick up others that may work better and utilize the space better.

Registered Member

Just a thought...you could always get custom tanks made to any size you want...Or if there is a plastic company in your area,they might be abel to make tanks for you.....There are also racks at Home Depot that work well.I have 4 of them in my fish room...they are 6 ft wide by 6 ft high by 18 in wide...three shelves,put anywhere ya want..only thing is you have to get some good plywood to use,cuz it comes with chip board. Price was $89...Very sturdy

Mench

I just had another thought on these gorilla racks and other simillar?

Now i have the 48 x 18 x 72 with a 55 & 29 on it.

I mentioned above that i wish i had some 48 x 18 tanks to utilize the space better ............. and i know ive heard some of you have 75's on there which are 48 x 18.

Now my question is ............. how in the world do you get the tanks on the shelf when they just fit them pefectly???

You pretty much have to build the rack around the tanks ............ which certainly wont be easy.

Any thoughts on this???

Im asking cause i just found some 29's & 40's and 20 high tanks im interested in. I would also like to have a rack of 75's but not sure if the gorilla racks will work if i have to assemble the racks around the 75's?

The rack may be 48 x 18 but the openiung to go thru is only 46 x 16!