AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Pro-Heat Titaniums

Default Pro-Heat Titaniums

Has anybody every accidently allowed these to be exposed to air for, say, 1/2 hour or so?

I forgot to turn one off tonight while draining a tank and I'm wondering if I should just throw the damn thing away or will it be ok?

It's gone from silver to purple in color and smelled pretty bad. Oddly enough, the plastic ends and suction cups do not seem to be melted at all.

Any thoughts or experiences?

thanks
    -Ryan
    Seek ye the truth and the truth will set you free.

Default Re: Pro-Heat Titaniums

Haha, Done that but not 1/2 hr though, got shocked pretty badly with it too! If ur not too worried about the discus in that tank and unplug it before u put ur hand into the water ! GO for it , Mine died completely a few weeks after the incident!

Thanks for the info. Elcid.

I'm not going to take any chances. I'll have to pull some old Ebos out of retirement until I can replace it.

Real Name
    Brian

I left mine out laying against the wood stand and caught the darn thing on fire. It wasn't affected...

Other than the fact that it's a Won, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The fact that it IS a won would make me throw it in the trash!!!

Jeez Brian, it's a good thing you didn't burn your house down.

Not a big fan of the Pro-Heats, huh?

I'm still trying to find a heater that I can trust. I've been disappointed by several brands recently.

thanks
    -Ryan

Registered Member

I forgot to close a drain valve and boiled a couple nice Snakeskins and cracked a brand new 55 gallon tank. The heater melted all the black rubber ends and suction cups. That was one of my stupid moments.

Today I called the Won distributor to get the address and instructions on sending my third heater this year back for warranty. I have four heaters and started using them this spring. have had three just stop working , I have the LCD controller type (for what I hear is the controllers going bad). I sent another check for $10.00 and went to the USPS and gave them $4.55 for priority w/ delivery confirmation. A total of $14.55 for my $30.00 + heater, three times this year. I hate to try another heater type since I hear the experts say they have not found a heater they like and I do not want to spend the big bucks on a expensive controller.
    The lady answering the phone (said she was the owner) has a tremendous attitude) I had trouble understanding her and she got very upset about it, I explained to her to please repeat herself and understand like I do since I have an accent as well that sometimes people have trouble understanding our words.That did not help.
    Anyway, I have my third won lcd heater being handle under warranty at the moment. After this I guess my warranty will run out and then I will be looking for a different heater brand ..with a controller.

Just wanted to share my experience..
    roberto.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by RyanH
    Not a big fan of the Pro-Heats, huh?
    If I was one to take pictures of my dead fish then I would have plenty to show you. I will never own another WON!!!

i have heard nothing but bad things about the brand and want to avoid their products; wondered if its like the television market - only 3 manufacturers, but each one sells under 2/3 different brand names, all with the same guts.

is that the only brand WON markets under or are there other names to avoid that they also make?

Out of 4 won lcd's I bought less than a year ago, only one works! I keep it for when I want to cook my fish and treat them with something that requires them to be steamy hot!

I really like the Visi-Therm Stealths. They are black plastic and I have yet to have one go bad on me. They are fairly reasonable in price also. I use them in almost all of my tanks and in my water barrels. I had the Wons too and they all ended up in the trash, some right out of the box. HTH Susan

I'm using three or four Visitherm Stealths right now. I need to give them a few more months before I start to trust them.

Real Name
    Brian

I'm using Via Aqua stainless steel heaters. Some people have had bad luck with them but I really like them.

I have been Lucky that my Won heaters that have gone bad (75% of them ) have just stopped working and not got stuck on and fried the fish.
    I do not think I would replaced them , when the time comes with glass heaters , I think I will stay with titanium or metal heaters.

roberto.