PDA

View Full Version : Live California Blackworm report

BobDaniel
10-15-2012, 04:05 PM
About two weeks ago I ordered the 3/4 lb Blackworm Combo that included two worm keepers.

The worms arrived well packed and obviously very fresh. There was no debris or strange organisms in the delivery unlike so I had received years ago from Michigan. Those had lots of leeches in with the worms.

On the Califirnia Blackworm delivery, there was an ice block packed with the worms and it had barely melted by the time I got my worms, so you know shipping was done quickly. After a good rinse in RO water, I fed the fish about a thimblefull of these worms and they just hammered them.

A couple of the fish have shown good growth since receiving these worms. One that was nearly a runt has exploded in size and is now the 3rd largest of 6 fish and is shaping up to be an impressive fish.

The downside is the worms need to be rinsed constantly. I need to do it about 3 times a day, 4 is even better. If you miss a rinse, you see some losses. These stink when they have some dead in there. I use refrigerated RO water with a little tap water mixed in for good measure.

I keep mine out in the sunporch as it honestly grosses me out thinking about these in my refrigerator.

I have just about finished off my first order and just placed a second one this afternoon. When the worms I have now are all fed to the fish, I'll bleach out the keepers and let them air dry so they will be ready for the next delivery.

I have had no health issues due to the blackworms. I do take care to make sure the worms are well rinsed. Just before feeding to the fish, we add a serving to a shot glass and rinse the serving several times with RO water. This ensures all the dead worms are removed and the worms are as clean as possible before the fish eat them.

BobDaniel
10-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Here is the link for those interested: http://aquaticfoods.com/LiveBlackwormsM.html

Garrett
02-12-2013, 01:34 PM
I have also had great results feeding these live worms. I've seen increased growth and better color in all fish (without any problems). I rinse them once a day and use the containers they provide. I had a mini frig that I wasn't using which is perfect for keeping these worms (so I don't have to keep them with food). Even the most finicky eaters go crazy for live BWs.