PDA

View Full Version : New 300L Communitary aquarium with discus

tat
10-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Hello,

I am planning a new 300L tank, and would like to receive some opinions.

Today I have a 120L aquarium, which will be dismounted and give space to the new one. I will reuse as much as possible, what I have on this aquarium.

My plan for the new setup is:

Aquarium: 1200 mm x 500 mm x 500 mm (300 L)
Substrate: Tropica Plant Growth(5L) + Pool Filter Sand
Filter1 : Eheim 2213 (440l/h)
Filter2 : Eheim 2224 (500l/h)
Filter3 : 2 or 3 months after the aquarium is running, I may switch the Eheim 2213 for a JBL e901 (900l/h)
Heaters : Hydor ETH 200W + Hydor ETH 300W
Others : 10w UV Filter
Hardscape: stones and driftwood (still looking for the perfect root!)
Light : 2x39W (T5 bulbs)
Plants : Echinodorus angustifolia, Echinodorus Ozelot, Echinodorus Bleheri, Anubis, cryptcorine, Sagittaria subulata and Staurogynes
Fish : juvenile Red Marlboro, juvenil Blue Diamon, 2 corydoras, 1 SAE, 1 L200, 5 amano shrimp, 3 neritine, 12 cardinal tetra, 2 gourami and 1 appistogramme agassize fire red (female) - all this are coming from my 120L tank
Co2 : No
Fertilization: Root Fertilizers
Maintenaince: Weekly 40% WC

In my head, this will be a low-tech aquarium, where the focus points are: amazing driftwood and stunning, healthy and colourful fishes.
Regarding discus, I know I have some limitations, doing only weekly Water Changes, but even if I do not end up with prize discus, I expect to have healthy fishes. After the tank is setup and running, I pretend to add 2 more discus, ending with 4.

Ok, thats it, overall what do you all think?

Eddie
10-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Im not a planted tank enthusiast but is the 10 watt UV filter being used for algae control only or what?

tat
10-17-2012, 07:11 PM
Im not a planted tank enthusiast but is the 10 watt UV filter being used for algae control only or what?

Well, I am using for algae and parasite control.
Difficult to know if it's really needed, but I can't remember the last time I lost a fish.
I also do not have any algae, but my cleaning crew (amanos, neritines and SAE) give a great help.

Regarding the setup, do you think it's possible to grow healthy discus, with just 2 daily feeds and weekly 50% water changes?

Thanks

Eddie
10-17-2012, 07:30 PM
Well, I am using for algae and parasite control.
Difficult to know if it's really needed, but I can't remember the last time I lost a fish.
I also do not have any algae, but my cleaning crew (amanos, neritines and SAE) give a great help.

Regarding the setup, do you think it's possible to grow healthy discus, with just 2 daily feeds and weekly 50% water changes?

Thanks

Im not a UV filter user but I believe 10 watts for a 300L tank might be too small but I'll let others chime in.