PDA

View Full Version : Seeding Sponges

Bill63SG
10-21-2012, 01:50 PM
I want to seed up 2 sponges for another tank.Running out of airlines.If I dis-conect a sponge in a tank and leave it in the tank,will it hold its colony,or does it need air-flow?I basically have to huge sponges I want to use when I bring some koi in for the winter,so I figure one in the 125,and one in the 135.Both those tanks have extra sponges,just not large enough.I also want to keep pond only sponges,and didnt get a chance to seed them in the pond.

ref0716
10-21-2012, 04:35 PM
Bill - I've held seeded sponges for a week out of water but in a plastic bag sealed pretty well but not completely. Seems that refrigeration might prolong that time as well. I believe exposure to oxygen is more important than being in water. If a sponge is left in water, I suppose it might go anaerobic. Just an opinion - no real proof. Other people?
Richard

Wjmulder
10-21-2012, 05:32 PM
I have been seeding sponges by just placing in the water, my fish think it works! Seems to me the air is not actually drawn through the sponge, just water.

Bill63SG
10-21-2012, 06:00 PM
I've held them also by freezing.On a side note,I bought a seperate air pump for the koi because they're going in the garage,so duh,I have an extra air pump.Threw the sponges in the 135 and plugged in.Thanks guys.

Discus-Hans
10-22-2012, 12:04 AM
Okay seeded sponges from one tank into an other, it will work, sponges for while without water flow trough them = dead bacteria.

It never happened to me (TG) but to somebody I know, central system, filled with sponge, power out for 5~6 hours, power came back on and blew all DEAD bacteria in the tanks = = = > lot of dead fish.

From that day on I thought when I see somebody shipping a "seeded sponge" to somebody ======> Good Luck lol

There seems to be good tank/filter starters these days, think Josie has them and Bill from Inland Empire Discus,

Hans

jimg
10-22-2012, 05:35 AM
Okay seeded sponges from one tank into an other, it will work, sponges for while without water flow trough them = dead bacteria.

It never happened to me (TG) but to somebody I know, central system, filled with sponge, power out for 5~6 hours, power came back on and blew all DEAD bacteria in the tanks = = = > lot of dead fish.

From that day on I thought when I see somebody shipping a "seeded sponge" to somebody ======> Good Luck lol

There seems to be good tank/filter starters these days, think Josie has them and Bill from Inland Empire Discus,

Hans+1
then they wonder why all fish "mysteriously" died

Bill63SG
10-22-2012, 05:36 AM
Thanks,Hans.Josie's only about 45 min.away.