PDA

View Full Version : Age your water!

Dogvet06
10-24-2012, 11:17 PM
I admit i was skeptical on this age water business. My pH doesnt change much after being aged but i still decided to try it out. Well my discus told me they loved it. All are happily swimming and eating and tonight as i type, the tank is filling and all the dicus are in the stream of the new water coming in. Its almost like they are dancing in the rain. So for those who are skeptics..do it..you fish will thank you! I would like to give a special thank you to Eddie.....you drilled it enough in my head to make me do it!

nwehrman
10-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Glad they love it! I know mine do!

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt56
10-25-2012, 12:24 AM
i was actually going to post on my log asking if anybody had ever had their discus like swimming in the current instead of going on the other side lol, they seem to like to go sideways and have it push them then the do it again, makes me laugh.

Dogvet06
10-25-2012, 12:27 AM
Yeah thats what mine were doing and fighting over who got to get under the current. Silly fish almost made me forget to put prime in there

nwehrman
10-25-2012, 01:01 AM
I have mine in the habit of eating while its filling back up... They get excited for water changes.

Nicole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gethenet
10-25-2012, 01:57 AM
Yeah thats what mine were doing and fighting over who got to get under the current. Silly fish almost made me forget to put prime in there
So even after you age the water....you still need to put prime in the tank? Don't you put the prime in when your aging the water?

inkbull
10-25-2012, 02:11 AM
most people do it right before theory is i think to avoid bacteria growth in barrel

shoveltrash
10-25-2012, 08:47 AM
the tank is filling and all the dicus are in the stream of the new water coming in. Its almost like they are dancing in the rain. :D
mine do the same

Eddie
10-25-2012, 06:06 PM
Thats great news Jaimie! Glad your fish are loving the water changes! :)

Mgardner
10-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Can you share your process? I don't age my water... I use 5 gal buckets to drain then refill (giant pain) and add in prime to the temp corrected water. Looking at changing my process and looking for ideas.
Thanks, Meg

Dogvet06
10-25-2012, 10:23 PM
I have two 55 gal barrels i got on craigs list for 15$ a piece. I have a eater in each and an airstone in each. I drain then fill with the barrels via a submerged pump then i fill barrels with a hose

YSS
10-26-2012, 07:38 AM
I would if I could, but can't. All I can do is dump a lot of SAFE while filling the tank. My fish don't seem to be too stressed, but they are not having as much fun as yours during the water changes. No playing around in the water stream for sure.

cubert
10-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Can you share your process? I don't age my water... I use 5 gal buckets to drain then refill (giant pain) and add in prime to the temp corrected water. Looking at changing my process and looking for ideas.
Thanks, Meg

Please buy a python, i was doing this until i got one and my back was killing me. This is good as well http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqueon_Water_Changer_Extensions_Adapters_for_Sipho ns_Gravel_Cleaners-Aqueon-XO06089-FIMTGSAA-vi.html

Using that you can just stick the hose in whichever drain is closest.

ronald sherman
10-26-2012, 08:15 PM
btw alway's use a python tonight after doing a 75% water change actually after first just removing 50 gallon's a went too the sink too shut off the faucet so i can fill it using the age water from the fish tank i have next too the discus tank and i was shocked too find the whole kitchen floor fill of water as well as the sink fill up took me 4 hr's too clean it all, up guess it got a little clogged amazing thing was as soon as i turned on the garbage disposal all the water went down instantly a lesson too learn a good idea too check the sink say when the tank is half way draining, lol

JonC
11-06-2012, 03:53 PM
How long do you age the water?

JonC
11-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Sorry, just found it. 24 hours..