PDA

View Full Version : Feeding intervals for 4 Discus ( Soon to be 6) 2.5'' each.

aabreu1101
10-29-2012, 04:13 PM
As stated, I have started a Discus tank. I am new to Discus and have a few questions, I would like to address them one at the time though since that way i can focus on getting things as close to perfect as possible for their sake. My question is this, I have Bloodworms, Brine shrimp, Beef heart and spectrum flakes for them as i don't want them to be stuck on one food only, How many times per day should i feed them, and what should be the best combination of the food available?

PS.. Forgot to mention, this is all Frozen cubed food.

Moon
10-29-2012, 04:33 PM
These are young fish. I would feed them 4 to 5 times a day. The combination of food that you have is good.

aabreu1101
10-29-2012, 05:30 PM
Thanks Moon, two more questions, if you don't mind. Should i do a different food every time, and flakes at night ? Or should i stick to one type of food per day? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Eddie
10-29-2012, 05:55 PM
Thanks Moon, two more questions, if you don't mind. Should i do a different food every time, and flakes at night ? Or should i stick to one type of food per day? Thanks in advance for the replies.

Unless you make a well balanced homemade food, it will be best to feed a variety to ensure a well rounded diet.

tonytheboss1
10-29-2012, 06:16 PM
:bandana: Not to give u extra work but you might wanna throw in some freeze dried or live selections w/ your frozen choices occasionally. A little of this, a little of that 4 or 5 times a day & they'll do just fine. Mine are a bit older but heres my menu .....

(From a prev post)Food varies, live blackworms, Hans frozen beef mix, San Fran Bay Frozen Bloodworms, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Als Austrailian freeze dried blackworms & Dainichi Cichlid - Color FX. Thanx, "T"

aabreu1101
10-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks Eddie! I don't know how to make homemade foods yet and wouldn't like to risk it just yet. I am not afraid of doing it, I would just want to go for the sure and tried way first while i get used to the regime. Soon though, I will be trying it, I like trying new things in general and have always tried to make my fish comfortable. I am new to Discus, but not fish. So far i am loving my new Discus.

Herbicidal
10-29-2012, 06:43 PM
I have 3 in that size range as well. I feed them in the morning when I get up and again when I get home. Since I work away from home during the day, I bought an auto feeder that drops in freeze dried black worms and beef heart flake twice a day @ 9am and again @ 2pm. Since I'm performing an 80% water change each day in the evening, their dinner treat (@ 5:30 pm) is a thawed cube (part of it anyway) of beef heart. For dessert, a sprinkle of flake food or a small piece of frozen blood worms (sometimes both). I try to time the water change (typically @ 8 pm) to be at least one hour after their last meal so they go to bed with a clean tank, if you know what I mean. ;)

aabreu1101
10-29-2012, 06:44 PM
:bandana: Not to give u extra work but you might wanna throw in some freeze dried or live selections w/ your frozen choices occasionally. A little of this, a little of that 4 or 5 times a day & they'll do just fine. Mine are a bit older but heres my menu .....

(From a prev post)Food varies, live blackworms, Hans frozen beef mix, San Fran Bay Frozen Bloodworms, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Als Austrailian freeze dried blackworms & Dainichi Cichlid - Color FX. Thanx, "T"

Hey Tonytheboss1, let me ask you. I thought that frozen bloodworms for example, were the same as freeze dried ? Am I wrong in thinking this? If I am wrong, then i might be giving the wrong name of what I am feeding them, I am feeding the cubes sold by a local fish farm that always has work well for me. I never thought on looking past what it was, meaning bloodworms, brine shrimp ect.

aabreu1101
10-29-2012, 06:49 PM
I have 3 in that size range as well. I feed them in the morning when I get up and again when I get home. Since I work away from home during the day, I bought an auto feeder that drops in freeze dried black worms and beef heart flake twice a day @ 9am and again @ 2pm. Since I'm performing an 80% water change each day in the evening, their dinner treat (@ 5:30 pm) is a thawed cube (part of it anyway) of beef heart. For dessert, a sprinkle of flake food or a small piece of frozen blood worms (sometimes both). I try to time the water change (typically @ 8 pm) to be at least one hour after their last meal so they go to bed with a clean tank, if you know what I mean. ;)

Sounds very good and straight forward. I can also adopt this routine with no problems if it proves helpful in keeping them well fed and content! Thanks a million for that !!

tonytheboss1
10-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Hey Tonytheboss1, let me ask you. I thought that frozen bloodworms for example, were the same as freeze dried ? Am I wrong in thinking this? If I am wrong, then i might be giving the wrong name of what I am feeding them, I am feeding the cubes sold by a local fish farm that always has work well for me. I never thought on looking past what it was, meaning bloodworms, brine shrimp ect.

:bandana: Naturally certain things are lost in processing & differ for freezeing or freeze drying. Shipping is cheapest for freeze dried as opposed to live or frozen but use of all combine for a healthy diet. OCD has me spending more than most but I think its worth it.....
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb95/tonytheboss1/IMG_0027.jpg

Herbicidal
10-30-2012, 10:51 AM
Sounds very good and straight forward. I can also adopt this routine with no problems if it proves helpful in keeping them well fed and content! Thanks a million for that !!Welcome and good luck!