PDA

View Full Version : I could not sell my Discus; I could use some advice!

scarhbar
10-31-2012, 09:58 AM
I was originally going to sell my Discus, because of the crazy amount of work it was starting to become. I am a full time college student, working part time, taking CNA classes, with a baby on the way, so I was trying to sell them to clear up some space, and maybe make a little money for this baby.

However, this doesn't seem to be the case. Nobody around here want's them for more than $12 a fish, so I figure I might as well keep them. I just have a few questions!

1. Do any of you have experience with Heavy Duty Shelving Units for holding multiple aquariums? Apparently the one in the link can hold 2750 lbs per shelf! Does it look like a reliable shelving unit for a few aquariums? http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/storage/bulk-rack/extra-heavy-duty/ex-high-capacity-bulk-rack-steel-deck#gridAnchor

2. My tank space is very limited. I have a 75 gallon tank, but that contains my Crenicichla Marmorata. I wouldn't trade him for the world! Easily my favorite wet pet. So that tank is out of the question. The only other somewhat-large tank I have, is my 55 gallon. I know this is an absolute minimum as far as Discus habitat goes, but will 5 Discus do ok in there for a while, until I can afford a larger tank?

3. Also, I want to make this tank bare bottom as well. What are some nice decorations for a bare bottom? Because my Discus are very shy as it is (except one; the alpha male?).

4. What is a good staple to feed my Discus? They do not like pellets at all, so flake food is my best bet. I've just been feeding them a mix of Ocean Nutrition Flake food, because it has some high protein content. But flakes don't seem like they are quite enough now that I think about it. Hmm, what would you guys suggest?

Sorry for all the questions! I just need a lot of help now! Thanks, Tyler.

camuth8
10-31-2012, 10:23 AM
1. That looks like a great shelf, but I bet it might be bigger than you need for just 2 tanks.

2. A 55 will do well as long as you keep up with water changes.

3. Driftwood is one of the most common, but you could also use Anubias sp.

4. Try frozen bloodworms, or maybe live blackworms.

angmat
10-31-2012, 10:31 AM
2. I think you are going to get different answers with this one. everyone has various opinions about the size of the tank for the number of discus you keep. but personally i think if you are keeping up with the good water changes you should be fine with a 55g.

3. when i had a bare bottom tank. I used some driftwood and a couple of fake rocks. however i can suggest that you do not aim to provide too many hiding spots. I had issues with some discus always wanting to hide, i eventually got fed up because i would never see them, i removed the most of the hiding spots and within a week they were all fine swimming around with more confidence.

4. I can never get my discus to eat flake or pellet so you are lucky. i feed mine bloodworm and discus dinner ( sold here in aus, contains beef heart, garlic, spinach etc. )

Darsenion
10-31-2012, 10:57 AM
1. I have no experience withe shelving for tanks.
2. I believe 5 discus will be perfect in a 55gal depending on thier age and size. May want to add one more, if you end up with two pairs the 5th will be bullied! With some adequate filtration! At this point there is no room for decorations. If you go up to a 75gal then I would say seven discus, unlikely you'll get 3 pairs. Add some drift wood. depending on lights some potted plants. But you did say you already have a massive workload so I say keep the 55Gal toss them in there. No decorations because they will need to be wiped down regularly. You should order some beef heart pro-growth flake and maybe some of Al's freeze dried blackworms. Hopes this helps!

Curt
10-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Tyler PM sent. Where are you located?

Curt

scarhbar
10-31-2012, 04:37 PM
1. That looks like a great shelf, but I bet it might be bigger than you need for just 2 tanks.

2. A 55 will do well as long as you keep up with water changes.

3. Driftwood is one of the most common, but you could also use Anubias sp.

4. Try frozen bloodworms, or maybe live blackworms.

Alright! I have a nice driftwood tree, that has Anubias Nana 'Petite' growing nicely! Thanks for reminding me :P But ya, they love Bloodworms, but I always used them as more of a treat. Is that something that could be used as a staple?

scarhbar
10-31-2012, 04:40 PM
2. I think you are going to get different answers with this one. everyone has various opinions about the size of the tank for the number of discus you keep. but personally i think if you are keeping up with the good water changes you should be fine with a 55g.

3. when i had a bare bottom tank. I used some driftwood and a couple of fake rocks. however i can suggest that you do not aim to provide too many hiding spots. I had issues with some discus always wanting to hide, i eventually got fed up because i would never see them, i removed the most of the hiding spots and within a week they were all fine swimming around with more confidence.

4. I can never get my discus to eat flake or pellet so you are lucky. i feed mine bloodworm and discus dinner ( sold here in aus, contains beef heart, garlic, spinach etc. )

Alright, it seems like everyone is agreeing on this size so far. I'd definitely keep a nice clean tank!

Do you know why they became less shy when the decor was removed?

scarhbar
10-31-2012, 04:44 PM
1. I have no experience withe shelving for tanks.
2. I believe 5 discus will be perfect in a 55gal depending on thier age and size. May want to add one more, if you end up with two pairs the 5th will be bullied! With some adequate filtration! At this point there is no room for decorations. If you go up to a 75gal then I would say seven discus, unlikely you'll get 3 pairs. Add some drift wood. depending on lights some potted plants. But you did say you already have a massive workload so I say keep the 55Gal toss them in there. No decorations because they will need to be wiped down regularly. You should order some beef heart pro-growth flake and maybe some of Al's freeze dried blackworms. Hopes this helps!

The fish are 4"-4.5" now, and it seems I have one Alpha fish, and the rest just kinda aren't aggresive. We'll see how this works out! I was possibly thinking of adding some driftwood initially, so the fish have time to become comfortable, but once they like me, I'd remove the pieces! Does that sound good?

Darsenion
11-01-2012, 02:03 AM
There will always(from what i have seen) be a alpha and the only one not experiencing any bullying is its mate. If they lay eggs he might even take a go at you. Bloodworms are not a staple diet. In my opinion no one food is a staple diet. Just like us i think they deserve a variety(a good flake or pellet could be considered a staple).As for the drift wood it should release tannins that will help them settle in. Just dont go to big. With water displacement anything you add takes aways from the total gallons. If you have a sump then you gain gallons. P.S. Once they love the food you give them and realize Human=food they will love everyone. Sort of like a dog with slime instead of drool!