PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit Poop for Planted shrimp substrate?

Supatank
11-01-2012, 12:10 PM
I recently bought a rabbit & noticed that he's producing a ton of little round/pellet looking poop like the expensive ada aqua soil. So i decided to do some research to see if anyone had try this as a plant substrate, no luck. I dug a little further & did came across a thread about a guy using "dog poo" (yes you heard right) as a soil base for his planted tank and he had fantastic result. With that said, I feel like i am sitting on a goldmine lolz :) I wanted to try this with my rabbit fecal and see if i can get the same or better result. So far in my research/google, it seem like rabbit poo is very high in macro nutrient, more than other animal manure.

finding:
Manures

source..............N.......P......K.......comment s
Rabbit manure 2.4 / 1.4 / 0.6 Most concentrated of animal manures in fresh form.
Cow manure (dairy) 0.6 0.2 0.5 Often contains weed seeds, should be hot composted.
Steer manure 0.7 0.3 0.4 Often contains weed seeds, should be hot composted if fresh.
Chicken manure 1.1 0.8 0.5 Fast acting, breaks down quickest of all manures.
Use carefully, may burn. Also, stinks like hell - composting definitely recommended.
Horse manure 0.7 0.3 0.6 Medium breakdown time.
Duck manure 0.6 1.4 0.5 .
Sheep manure 0.7 0.3 0.9 .
Worm castings 0.5 0.5 0.3 50% organic material plus 11 trace minerals. Great for seedlings, will not burn.
Is a form of compost, so doesn't need composting.

Anyone else try this as a plant substrate or as a fertilizer?

AngryBird
11-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Interesting thread but I am assuming that you are not planning to add any fish in this tank. Personally I will never try this option just to avoid any parasite or any disease that might be passed from poop. Keep the tread updated if you are really going to try :)

DiscusOnly
11-01-2012, 03:02 PM
Are you trying to do a high tech tank and expensive shrimp? I wouldn't if I were you.

Keeping those expensive shrimp is like keeping discus. Don't mess with the water and keep it simple. Those shrimp won't thrive in the high tech tank.

You don't need the extra expensive subtrate for the shrimp anyway. You can use regular gravels or if you want to step it up, go with fluval stratum. In my experience, it's not necessary. If you got extra $ to throw out, use the ADA stuff. I keep my CRS with regular subtrate, worm castings and fluval stratums, all the of tanks are thriving.

Van

CrazyAngels
11-01-2012, 03:53 PM
I know many people who use rabbit matter for fertilizing their gardens with great success, but never seen anyone use it in an aquarium. With that said, I do know of a few people that use Miracle grow organic potting soil, they weigh it down with sand and gravel and have very nice planted tanks.

HTH

Supatank
11-05-2012, 07:02 AM
To answer some of your guys questions; I'm only housing fish at the moment and no shrimp will be added until I am a 100% sure it's stable. I actually don't have extra $$ Lolz, and thought that this could be a fun project since i have extra stuff laying around. I thought if the guy that used dog poo had such great success , mine should be 10x better considering all the benefits the rabbit poop can offer to a planted aquarium. I am a little worried about the pathogens, parasites, diseases, etc... I figured if people used animal manure (such as cows) to grow the foods they eat, what's wrong with using rabbit poo? If i am free this coming up Friday, I will start on the project and keep you guys updated (pix included of course). Wish me luck!

dpete9
11-05-2012, 07:22 AM
well here's some more food for thought. You could try killing 3 birds with one stone. Use the rabbit manure to feed red worms use the red worm manure for substrate for your tank. In my opinion it would be much safer than straight from the rabbbit .. lol Oh than feed the red worms to your discus! free substrate free fish food. Yay, win win

mshen11
04-02-2013, 08:13 AM
The poop might contain too much ammonium nitrate nitrite. Same with red wigglers and worm tea that comes ou of it

LizStreithorst
04-02-2013, 08:54 AM
I use rotted goat poop under my substrate in my Angel tank. It works great. I don't think I'd use any poop that was fresh. My feeling is that it would be too strong and burn the plant roots. Rabbit poop is VERY strong.

mshen11
04-02-2013, 10:25 AM
i would be curious to hear the results if you try it

Aeon
01-14-2014, 02:56 AM
parasites cannot be transeferred from a rabbit to a shrimp

DiscusLoverJeff
01-14-2014, 09:32 AM
Just use Flourite or Eco-Complete for a substrate. Keep it simple, your shrimp will love you for it.

dirtyplants
01-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Hate to spoil the fun here but rabbit poop has been used for a long time. Rabbits poop two different types of poop, the soft balls and the hard pellets. The soft is not recommended, but hard pallets is very high in fiber and beneficial for fertilizing gravel beds. These do have to be demineralized though but adding a few into an established gravel bed won't hurt. Just that no one relishes placing poop into their aquariums, and marketing this product has been been a total flop. The bacteria in the pellets generally are very good for the gravel, but the parasites would be a matter of healthy rabbits and the food source along with controlled clean environment. They could be sterilized though but the beneficial bacteria also dies, then it becomes something like peat or soil which needs to break down for plant use. Still useful for substrate just not popular, other things can be added which is more palatable.

MSD
01-15-2014, 10:26 PM
If you need to use crap in a tank for plants, give up the hobby. So disgusting, and you'll never have to worry about having friends over again, bonus. :)

dagray
01-16-2014, 12:21 AM
Rabbit and chicken manure are super high in nitrates. I used to raise rabbits and would shovel the manure from under their cages and would have to mix it with compost to get good fertilizer as the nitrate level would prevent even weeds from growing in the pile.

Once mixed with compost and left to sit for a month or so it made great plant fertilizer for a garden. Nitrates will kill shrimp as fast or faster than they kill fish.

MSD
01-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Knock yourself out. :)

Sharpranger
10-23-2014, 05:14 AM
I recently bought a rabbit & noticed that he's producing a ton of little round/pellet looking poop like the expensive ada aqua soil. So i decided to do some research to see if anyone had try this as a plant substrate, no luck. I dug a little further & did came across a thread about a guy using "dog poo" (yes you heard right) as a soil base for his planted tank and he had fantastic result. With that said, I feel like i am sitting on a goldmine lolz :) I wanted to try this with my rabbit fecal and see if i can get the same or better result. So far in my research/google, it seem like rabbit poo is very high in macro nutrient, more than other animal manure.

finding:
Manures

source..............N.......P......K.......comment s
Rabbit manure 2.4 / 1.4 / 0.6 Most concentrated of animal manures in fresh form.
Cow manure (dairy) 0.6 0.2 0.5 Often contains weed seeds, should be hot composted.
Steer manure 0.7 0.3 0.4 Often contains weed seeds, should be hot composted if fresh.
Chicken manure 1.1 0.8 0.5 Fast acting, breaks down quickest of all manures.
Use carefully, may burn. Also, stinks like hell - composting definitely recommended.
Horse manure 0.7 0.3 0.6 Medium breakdown time.
Duck manure 0.6 1.4 0.5 .
Sheep manure 0.7 0.3 0.9 .
Worm castings 0.5 0.5 0.3 50% organic material plus 11 trace minerals. Great for seedlings, will not burn.
Is a form of compost, so doesn't need composting.

Anyone else try this as a plant substrate or as a fertilizer?

Hello Supertank,

Just wanted to find out from you if you did use the Rabbit Poo for your tank as a fertilizer? Also if yes and results were good, how did you introduce this in the tank. can you send me any pictures so that I can see. I need to try this product too in my tank, please revert.

Regards,

Sharpranger.