PDA

View Full Version : The 540 gal build

uarujoey
11-04-2012, 11:00 AM
Started a new project. Hope you enjoy the first video of 6!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2beOiIgBvUM

Len
11-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Thanks for sharing Joey :)

uarujoey
11-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Thanks for sharing Joey :)

No problem Len!

matt56
11-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Love your videos joey, been waiting for this for a while :). Thanks for sharing!

Cullymoto
11-04-2012, 01:14 PM
update?

uarujoey
11-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Love your videos joey, been waiting for this for a while :). Thanks for sharing!

No problem Matt!

update?

I just posted the video a few hours ago. There is no update. :)

The next video will be out next sunday. Every sunday, a new part to the series.

Trier20
11-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Looking forward to seeing this project!

uarujoey
11-04-2012, 09:29 PM
Looking forward to seeing this project!

Glad to hear it...

Would you believe that this tank is made from 2 smaller tanks?

Ever think of doing that? I know a lot of people have.

Trier20
11-04-2012, 11:48 PM
Glad to hear it...

Would you believe that this tank is made from 2 smaller tanks?

Ever think of doing that? I know a lot of people have.

I didn't think of that. But it does makes a lot of sense now! Lol

fattubwhale
11-04-2012, 11:51 PM
Awesome build!

uarujoey
11-05-2012, 07:35 PM
Awesome build!

Thanks Pal!

YSS
11-05-2012, 08:04 PM
Very cool. I saw your other videos and now I am motivated to install a drip system for my 265G tank. May be soon. Thanks! :)

Discus-n00b
11-05-2012, 10:47 PM
Awesome. I love where that tank sits and I love the size of it. You also have some other great videos....I'll stay tuned for more!

Poco
11-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Awosome project!

dpete9
11-06-2012, 04:31 AM
love the video. Can't wait for the next one!

bogia99
11-06-2012, 02:11 PM

+1 .. me too ... awesome build ..

Kal-El
11-06-2012, 05:41 PM
Started a new project. Hope you enjoy the first video of 6!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2beOiIgBvUM
Damn... love your video... I've learn so much from watching all of your DIY videos. Thank you for posting this... Give me so much idea on setting up my own tank once I buy a new house...

uarujoey
11-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Very cool. I saw your other videos and now I am motivated to install a drip system for my 265G tank. May be soon. Thanks! :)

Drips are fantastic! You wouldnt regret it if you did.

Awesome. I love where that tank sits and I love the size of it. You also have some other great videos....I'll stay tuned for more!

Thanks pal

Awosome project!

Thanks!

+1 .. me too ... awesome build ..

Glad you guys enjoyed it!

Damn... love your video... I've learn so much from watching all of your DIY videos. Thank you for posting this... Give me so much idea on setting up my own tank once I buy a new house...

No problem. Glad you enjoyed the video.

shoveltrash
11-07-2012, 09:40 AM
that's awesome! I love it when you are in the tank :D
'will be following along with interest!!!

uarujoey
11-11-2012, 08:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60mDGZRh4NE

Kingdom Come Discus
11-11-2012, 06:03 PM
I enjoy all your DIY video's Joey. Thanks!!!

uarujoey
11-11-2012, 06:12 PM
I enjoy all your DIY video's Joey. Thanks!!!

Glad to hear it pal!

uarujoey
11-18-2012, 09:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8olS_u-y3o

Kal-El
11-18-2012, 10:33 PM
Can't wait for the rest of the video to see how this setup is.

uarujoey
11-25-2012, 01:44 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLvkYA8AqBY

bogia99
11-26-2012, 04:49 PM
+1

I really like the way you present the information.

bnbfishin
11-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Very thorough videos. I enjoyed watching them this morning while having a cup of coffee. I am now pondering how much my wife will want to strangle me when I tell her what I'd like to do in our office downstairs :D Will be looking forward to the filtraion portion. I'm thinking about doing a tank like this but on a considerably smaller scale (48x48 or 36x36). I really like the walk around viewing of it.

uarujoey
12-02-2012, 01:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwandSa_Hrg

Donno
12-02-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the video! I'm building a similar filtration system on a much smaller tank using poret foam for mechanical filtration and k1 kaldness media. It appears that you are using a Beans Animal type overflow system without the 3rd overflow. Would you care to comment on that? Thanks!

uarujoey
12-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the video! I'm building a similar filtration system on a much smaller tank using poret foam for mechanical filtration and k1 kaldness media. It appears that you are using a Beans Animal type overflow system without the 3rd overflow. Would you care to comment on that? Thanks!

I dont think its anything like the Bean Animal overflow. The both work on the same concept though. But every overflow does..... I have never used it. I dont like it. Too much plumbing and parts for my liking's. I like to keep things much more simple. Which i did with this overflow. I accomplished the same thing, with much less hassle/plumbing/money. I also dont like to go threw walls much. I prefer overflows to go threw the bottom of the tank. But that is more of a personal preference. Bottom of the tank overflows do get more flow than in wall/top of the tank overflows with the same bulkhead size though.

Just 2 straight standpipes. One takes most of the flow, the other takes the rest. The straight standpipe has been in the hobby for a very long time, and is by far the best. Its just noisy so people dont like it. The second overflow solves that issue. I use this style on all my tanks. Some just have one standpipe. When using just one, go as big as you can, and noise is not an issue. Control the flow and tweak it until it is just right. Small tanks get one standpipe, big tanks get 2.

Mep1127
12-04-2012, 03:20 AM
Wish I had the time and resources to make my own tank.. anyways great job on the tanks... the DIY LED lights is something I will definitely have to build when ever i get a new tank!

Lenin
12-04-2012, 10:40 AM
So Joey I love your builds and what you're doing, but I do wish that when you created the series of videos you would show the actual process of the build, I was looking forward to that, there is nothing better than seeing it being build, because when you're showing and describing what you already build is not as visual, I have something like this in mind for a build for myself next year and it's great information, but you know when you're going thru the process somethings don't go according to plan and when you are seeing it being done it helps.

BTW, again love your builds. You're my inspiration for a monster tank that has been living in my mind for a while.

uarujoey
12-05-2012, 12:47 AM
So Joey I love your builds and what you're doing, but I do wish that when you created the series of videos you would show the actual process of the build, I was looking forward to that, there is nothing better than seeing it being build, because when you're showing and describing what you already build is not as visual, I have something like this in mind for a build for myself next year and it's great information, but you know when you're going thru the process somethings don't go according to plan and when you are seeing it being done it helps.

BTW, again love your builds. You're my inspiration for a monster tank that has been living in my mind for a while.

I can appreciate this comment.

Here's the thing though.... i dont rehearse my videos, or even plan them out. I do my videos as if you were right there with me. So its all free style.

I call these "live builds"... simply put..... i have one chance. I have one chance to build it right, and talk/explain it correctly while im building it. Which is the hardest part, because the tape is rolling, and what ever i say or do is final. I cant remake or redo a build. Editing too much loses the focus of the build and credibility of what i am showing. It's a one chance type of video, because most things i build, cant be taken apart, or can be easily ruined. Silicone starts to skin... glass is very heavy.. epoxy has a short pot life.. ect... Seamed like there were a few things making me avoid touching the camera.

So with this said, i opted to do this build this way....

I truly feel that what i have shown in the video is all you will need to know. There is no hidden secrets or tips... it was a very simple build. Just how i like 'em!

spiffyfish
12-05-2012, 12:53 AM
cant wait to see that tank stocked Joey, how are your discus doing havent seen any updates on any forums?

uarujoey
12-10-2012, 09:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHKIWrQVicU

spiffyfish
12-10-2012, 10:32 PM
looks good joey, guess you answered my question about your discus. waiting to see that tank full of fish.

uarujoey
12-12-2012, 10:47 AM
looks good joey, guess you answered my question about your discus. waiting to see that tank full of fish.

Im thinking i may only add a few discus to start. I have developed 2 pair in the holding tank, and i have been holding off on letting them follow threw. So i think i might build a breeding rack for them and see how they do. Ultimately though, i keep discus cause i love them, and not to breed them, so im not sure i will put any real attempt at breeding.

I would prefer to have 20-30 discus in this tank. With 30 being ideal. So i may concentrate on getting more discus first....

I guess what im trying to say, is i have no idea what i want to do. lol

John_Nicholson
12-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Great thread. Thanks very much.

-john

nwehrman
12-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the videos!

uarujoey
12-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Great thread. Thanks very much.

-john

Thanks for the videos!

No problem fellas. Glad ya's enjoyed it.

dbfzurowski
12-15-2012, 06:13 PM
Nice videos Joey!
For the tank alone, do you think it would be cheaper/faster just to build it out of acrylic sheets if you didnt use the glass from other tanks?
I'm planing a 400G tank and its going inside a wall so I would need two glass/acrylic sides anyways and I was wondering if I should just do it all acrylic.

uarujoey
12-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Nice videos Joey!
For the tank alone, do you think it would be cheaper/faster just to build it out of acrylic sheets if you didnt use the glass from other tanks?
I'm planing a 400G tank and its going inside a wall so I would need two glass/acrylic sides anyways and I was wondering if I should just do it all acrylic.

I couldnt build it out of acrylic. In the first video i mention why.

uarujoey
03-09-2013, 09:50 PM
An update:

http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q520/ECASpics/540gal_zps4a376a20.jpg

Discus-n00b
03-09-2013, 10:24 PM
Looks awesome! Nice job on it!

Kal-El
03-09-2013, 10:34 PM
Awesome... Can't wait for video with discus...

uarujoey
03-09-2013, 11:05 PM
Looks awesome! Nice job on it!

thanks pal.

Awesome... Can't wait for video with discus...

Thanks. The discus were actually in this tank at one point. I moved them for 2 reasons. There are 2 pairs in my group. Moving them to the new tank broke the pairs up and all breeding stopped.(Obviously a move would, but the tank was too stressful for them in the long run)
The second reason is, i built a 310 gallon breeding rack for the 2 pair. So i moved them back to their 150gal while i awaiting the pairing up/egg laying to start again. I'll then move the pairs to the breeding rack, and the rest can go back into the 540gal.

redlionvjx
03-26-2013, 12:13 AM
awesome tank! Haha I just randomly watched your never do a water change video the other day, funny.

sandy
03-26-2013, 06:36 AM
Very huge tank you don't get any difficulty in cleaning the tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

troysdiiscus
03-26-2013, 02:00 PM
great video Joey, I watch all of them. I build all my stands watching your video and added my own spin, works great. Also the DIY 3D background I also did in a 30 galllon, took some time but it really looks great, oh and sell me some one of those sweet ones you bought cheap!!!!!!! Keep them coming......

Fuze_drinker
03-30-2013, 09:24 PM
Good stuff here!

uarujoey
08-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Here is an update to this setup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtVt0xRW-bI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtVt0xRW-bI

dkeef
08-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Hey yur in simply! Awesome video. I was just sharing your drip auto wc method here. Haha.
Lot of skeptism on it but thanks for the video anyway.
Ill be building auto wc changer. Appreciate yur help.

a volar
08-16-2013, 12:22 AM
LOL... There is a lot of information here in the forum David, you just need to use SEARCH once in a while........

uarujoey
08-16-2013, 09:18 PM
Hey yur in simply! Awesome video. I was just sharing your drip auto wc method here. Haha.
Lot of skeptism on it but thanks for the video anyway.
Ill be building auto wc changer. Appreciate yur help.

I'll have to have a look.

skepticism is usually from people that either don't understand or have never used it.