PDA

View Full Version : Refugium and Sump Question

DiscusLoverJeff
11-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Hello friends,

I picked up a 110 (60x18x24") tank today (will supply pics tomorrow after I clean everything up) used and it was originally a reef setup with refugium and sump. I hate to not use this for filtration after I get it cleaned and new hoses. The guy took good care of it so cleaning the tank was a breeze so far.

My question is, since the sump has bio-balls and bio-media, can I soak them in either bleach/water or vinager/water solution and reuse them? I was also thinking about loadng the refugium with bio media as well. Not sure if the pump works so I may have to buy a good one for this setup. What would be a good bio-media for the refugium? The refugium is a 30 or 40 gallon SeaClear acrylic and the sump is about the same size. So this could be lots of filtration for this tank. Pics tomorrow.

Thanks all.

Jeff

Craigmax
11-04-2012, 11:58 PM
Skip the balls. Go with Kaldness and make it fluidized with poret foam as barriers.

jozwikjp
11-29-2012, 09:02 PM
Is their any other barrier material that is small enough to hold k1 that will allow for high flow like 1800GPH?

I was going to use the eggcrate material but it looks like that will be too big for k1.