PDA

View Full Version : Cycling a New Canister Filter

DiscusLoverJeff
11-14-2012, 04:24 PM
I am thinking about getting a couple canister filters (Fluval 405/406, FX5, Rena, etc) for my 110 gal tank and sell or trade off the wet/dry-refugium setup.

Since I already have a couple canisters running other tanks, can I pull half the media out and put it in the new canisters for faster cycle time or will I screw up the older canisters? I have not done this in a long time and can't remember if will work or not.

Thanks,

Jeff

Second Hand Pat
11-14-2012, 04:54 PM
I would suspect you would be fine Jeff but is the bio-media from the sump suitable for the canister?
Pat

Poco
11-14-2012, 05:17 PM
If you can't use the media from the sump, you can run both in-tandem until your canister gets cycled. Using media from the other tank bring about the possibility of cross contamination.

ZX10R
11-14-2012, 05:29 PM
I have never cycled a filter in my life. Always just did big frequent WC until the filter seeded itself. Might be the wrong way but I never was much on following rules :)

DiscusLoverJeff
11-15-2012, 01:48 PM
I have done that before too Sean but since all my tanks run the same water, same media, I thought possible to seed the filter faster to avoid issues later.

Pat I do not want to use the media from the sump at all. I like the media in the fluvals (bio-max, ceramic rings, sponges) better. The sump just has the 1" bio-balls about 3 gallon bucket full, and some large ceramic rings, too large for the fluvals.

Good idea Poco. Might be what I will have to do.

Thank you everyone for your insight.

Jeff

Second Hand Pat
11-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Jeff, you could seed the fluvals filter media in the sump instead of running three filters. :)
Pat

TheDrake
11-15-2012, 05:26 PM
do you have an empty tank where you can do fishless cycling with ammonia? very fast and efficient.