PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to do a fish room for discus maybe add angels and other fish later

discus510
11-14-2012, 05:43 PM
hi all i finally got the okay from wife to covert my 4 over sized detached garage into a fish room. the size of garage is roughly 50ft by 30ft one side of it got 14 ft ceiling one side got 10 ft ceiling one side is for parking a boat of course i dont have a boat lol im planning on making all ceiling 10 ft high so im pulling off all old sheet rock dropping all ceiling down to 10 ft insulating all the walls installing 8 4 x 8 sky light installing 70 4" LED recessed lights going with 2 95% gas heater to heat up the fish room going with air exchanger rated for 1500-3600 sf area also removing 2 dual garage door and installing 1 double insulted garage door center to building
so far this is what i planned
heater is set
air exchanger is set
skylight is set
led lighting is set this can be changed to 6" if want to but i like look of 4 incher better
so far everything on the building build is set meaning its purchased already all old sheet is down garage is down to studs there doing framing for dropping ceiling down to 10 ft
equipment so far im thinkin of is
48 x 24 x 20 = 86 pc getting quote on acrylic unless someone can let me know why glass would be better beside it being cheaper
these tank will be holding 4.5-6" for pairing up purpose
also for holding to view to sell
36 x 20 x 20 = 48 pc getting quote on acrylic " "
these will be for holding breeding pair purpose
also for grow out
72 x 24 x 20 = 8 pc getting quote on acrylic " "
just to have extra tank
also to hold fish for viewing and selling
120 x 48 x 30 = 1 for main display community tank
stand going to all be steel 2 x 2 powder coated black
tank will be double stacked each tank will have dual t5 on top of tank for viewing
8 750 gallon vertical water storage tank
im still trying to figure out how i should do filter for it i know imma do sponge filter 2 in each tank for bigger tank and 1 for smaller tank was just wondering if i should also do a central filtration (one row of tank on one central filtration system
so far without tanks or anything yet just to do the garage to how i want it is at 50000 if fish room is not possible ill just change it into a normal man cave with pool table a big screen and a wet bar =) but i dont need to cuz i have all that in main house already
but ill perfer a really nice discus room
what u guys think?? is this crazy... and no i will not fully stock all the tanks at once

bogia99
11-14-2012, 07:16 PM
just a few side questions:

how many years do you have with breeding discus ?
How do you plan to establish a customer base ?
Is this your full time job ?
do you plan to ship out your fish ?
City or well water ?
backup generators ?
backup fish caretaker ?
Have you been to a large scale breeder facility ?

discus510
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
ive never breed discus before and honestly i dont mind if it doesnt breed i just like to have lots of it ive kept discus for about 4 or 5 yrs about 4 yrs ago i once had 200 discus
ill post online ppl buy ppl buy im not doing this to make money i just like fish discus and reef (tangs)
no its not my full time job i own my own business and i can be at my business or not its pretty much running itself with employees
no im not goin to ship out my fish yet im doing this mostly as a hobby and not to make money
city water im in san jose, ca
generator im still debating im thinking about going with solar with battery backup
nope never been to a large scale facilty and i dont consider mine to be large scale its total 1500 sf
and yes i know roughly whats its goin to cost

discus510
11-14-2012, 09:30 PM
oh oh and if i do get lots of pairs and breed than i can start selling it that would be cool too

Altum Nut
11-14-2012, 10:46 PM
To me it sounds like money is not an object.
If you have a love for Discus.... then I would say go for it.
keep us updated if you plan the build and good luck.

...Ralph

BobDaniel
11-14-2012, 11:21 PM
I feel most of your time maintaining the fish will be centered on water changes and cleaning tanks. The quicker you are able to do these chores the more time you will have to attend to your money making business activities. I think some thought should go into a quarantine section and how to medicate several tanks should a disease break out in the fishroom.

discus510
11-16-2012, 12:34 PM
I feel most of your time maintaining the fish will be centered on water changes and cleaning tanks. The quicker you are able to do these chores the more time you will have to attend to your money making business activities. I think some thought should go into a quarantine section and how to medicate several tanks should a disease break out in the fishroom.

yea tats what i think too so rite now im trying to figure out an automated water change system for 100 + tanks and also thinkin about building another room behind the garage tats connected tats 50ft x 10 ft to house all the heater air exchanger air blower and water storage tank and if i can do it tat mean i can put more tanks along the back wall of garage

discus510
11-16-2012, 02:10 PM
was wonderin if do sump or no sump with sump doing automated water change will be a lot easier and cheaper just have old water pumping out from sump and new water going into sump than it get pump into tank just doing this way i wont be sure how many % of water is being changed or can have each tank plumbed with a hole dead center in middle with electric ball valve so will drain tank half empty and will have water pump pumping water from storage tank with a reeflo tiger shark pump to fill all tanks bak up

Poco
11-16-2012, 11:14 PM
You can consider constant drip system, you have enough storage to pre-treat it with dechlor.

discus510
11-17-2012, 02:09 PM
You can consider constant drip system, you have enough storage to pre-treat it with dechlor.
i think drip system will take too long to change out water im thinking about using electric ball valve and have it set on a timer so at certain time it empty out all tanks half way and with the float valve it will fill it back up drain is all 1" float valve fill is all 1/2" hope the float valve works does anyone have experience with float valve being 1/2" with a pump at the

CliffsDiscus
11-17-2012, 05:00 PM
discus510, check with Richard Feiller, he lives in San Jose and help design Bing Seto's Hatchery back in the 90's.

Cliff

discus510
11-19-2012, 09:35 PM
hey cliff how can i find richard??

CliffsDiscus
11-20-2012, 12:25 AM
discus510, I'll pm you his number.

Cliff

cjr8420
11-20-2012, 01:28 AM
holy hell did i read this right 13k+ gal in tanks and a another 6k gal storage.1 question what did u have to buy the wife to get her to okay ur project lol.gl

DerekFF
11-20-2012, 01:34 AM
I think ill believe this one when i see it. This is nuts. Maybe talk to Hans about how he does his water changes on such a large scale. He already posted it somewhere but he may have ideas also

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

discus510
11-20-2012, 12:58 PM
holy hell did i read this right 13k+ gal in tanks and a another 6k gal storage.1 question what did u have to buy the wife to get her to okay ur project lol.gl

lol simple bought her the house its a 4 bedroom 4.5 bath 6000 sq ft house on 60000 sq ft of land

discus510
11-20-2012, 01:01 PM
I think ill believe this one when i see it. This is nuts. Maybe talk to Hans about how he does his water changes on such a large scale. He already posted it somewhere but he may have ideas also

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
its ok u dont believe it cuz i wont start it till i get the tank priced at the rite price but the contruction of garage has started cuz it will be contructed like tat no matter wat less the air exchanger if im not doing fish room
for the acrylic tanks im at 67000 tats a lil high for me im expecting to spend 55000 for tanks so rite now im waiting for quote to come bak on glass tank

discus510
11-20-2012, 07:05 PM
list break down of what need to be purchased plus the cost of it
build room
95% 3 stage gas heater bought 2 units 6000
1500-3600 square feet air exchanger bought 1 unit 2800
4" Led made by cree bought 70 units 4900
48" x 96" skylight bought 8 of it 3600
those r materials i bought already cuz i needed it to redo the room anyways beside the air exchanger
and if i decide to do the additional add on to back to add space of 50 ft x 12ft going to cost me another 24000 just to build out room i will add if i do finally decide to do fish room so i can house the reverse osmosis system and storage water tank