PDA

View Full Version : media for my canister filter.

Dubiadiscus
11-24-2012, 02:12 AM
Hi all, I have a 65 gallon tank with a marineland canister c-360 filter. It is a four stage filter system and I currently have sponge on the bottom then I have carbon bags on second stage then I have the bio-balls for 3rd stage and the final stage I have the white ceramic. Im using everything that came with the filter. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion as to what type of media I should be using or leave what I have?

Elliots
11-24-2012, 08:26 AM
People on SD say no charcoal in your filters. Charcoal may also not be good for plants.

DiscusLoverJeff
11-24-2012, 08:50 AM
You are not limited to using just marineland media. You can use a variety but as stated, no charcoal.

I added EHEIM Substrat Pro Biological Filter Media to 2 of the 4 baskets in my Fluval 405. Seems to work just fine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002Z7VAK/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&smid=A2RRRBZIBW1CCT

Eheim has a good selection of media to use depending on what you have in your tank. Bio-media for the first 2 baskets, then I have polishing pads in the final basket.

Dubiadiscus
11-25-2012, 03:57 PM
I will be removing the charcoal from the basket. I do have live plants in my tank as well. I also understanr that im not limited to using only marineland media. I also have the polishing pad on top of the ceramic disks in the top basket. So once I remove the charcoal what wouod he good to put innits place with a planted tank?

Trier20
11-25-2012, 04:11 PM
I just run bio balls and sponges in my canister filter. Anything to keep a good BB colony. Like Jeff said I would run bio media in the bottom two and a polisher in the top tray.

DerekFF
11-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Sponges and ceramic rings here

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

jjgunshot
12-04-2012, 04:52 PM
I might start using seachem matrix bio media

decoy50
12-04-2012, 05:52 PM
How long have you been running your c360? I just picked one up with a tank I got off Craigs List. I read a bunch of reviews online and they mention leaking issues...just curious if you have seen any problems or if that was just with the older models.

Dubiadiscus
12-10-2012, 03:48 AM
Hi decoy50, I have had my c360 for a 1 1/2 and I have never had any leaking issue with it at all. It works great.

decoy50
12-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the info. I really like the design of the c360 but the reviews I was reading online had me worried. It was a free filter so I was going to give it a shot regardless. In my canister filters, I only run sponges and bio balls/rings - to answer your original question.

Dubiadiscus
12-13-2012, 02:55 AM
Thanks decoy50 so far so good on my filter. I love it a lot seeing that yours is used just make sure the rubber seals are not cracked or dry rotted. If you also look at the top you will see a black key lift that up and there is another small key, you lift that up and turn it that closes the hoses off so you remove them with draining water all over like I did the first time.

decoy50
12-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Haha thanks for the tip - I've dumped my aging barrel in the floor twice. I thought I'd never get the water soaked up.