PDA

View Full Version : Discus Eating Only Frozen Foods

camuth8
11-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Hi everyone.

I just got 4 discus a few weeks ago and I have a small problem. They only eat frozen foods! I currently have my own frozen food mix that they like and I also have frozen bloodworms which I know I'm not supposed to feed them every day. My other foods are pellets and flakes, and only one of the 4 is interested in them. Any help on getting them to eat other foods? :confused:

TURQ64
11-25-2012, 11:37 PM
Nothing wrong with a frozen diet,it's been done for years as long as you can afford it...and they'll eventually eat other things...

Dogvet06
11-26-2012, 12:10 AM
have u tried freeze dried black worms? also nothing wrong with frozen but blood worms u should limit.

Bill63SG
11-26-2012, 12:28 AM
Frozen is fine.You want them to eat something else,be ready to feed them that and nothing else for a couple days,no caving in.

Trier20
11-26-2012, 03:32 AM
You can always use a coffee grinder and grind up the pellets and flake food and add it to your mix.

Jeff O
11-26-2012, 12:09 PM
I had this exact same issue with two discus I recently bought. My discus LOVE the New life spectrum discus formula food. Its kind of expensive so I dont buy it often but I did not feed anything except that and after 3 days of refusing it the fourth day they ate it and have been eating it ever since! I am now able to introduce all kinds of food with them (flake other types of pellet etc..) Dont feed them ANYMORE frozen foods until they start eating what you want them to. Once they do start to accept the other foods you can start feeding frozen foods again. I feed 2 dry foods daily with one frozen blood worm feeding.
-Jeff

TURQ64
11-26-2012, 12:16 PM
The entire scenario can be avoided by simply buying local. Support local breeder's. The economy isn't too spiffy, and they can use every nickel. Most breeder's I know raise their fry on many foods, which makes for simple transitions between owner's...'BUY AMERICAN BRED!'

camuth8
11-26-2012, 08:12 PM
OK. Thanks everyone. I'll try using Brandon's idea of adding dried foods to my food mix. Maybe they'll accept them later.