PDA

View Full Version : Going away on Holidays for 1 Month

Warren2308
11-26-2012, 02:54 AM
Hi Guys just wondering what people do when they go away for a Long time regarding cleaning??
Is there a way to min algae??
Should I drop feeding to once a day??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

farebox
11-26-2012, 04:40 AM
I went to the Philippines for 22 days, so I trained my son on how to do water changes 2x an week and make prepared food packets to feed my discus once daily. All okay when returned back home. Also had my son email photo of my 125GA tank weekly....

Warren2308
11-26-2012, 05:14 AM
This is not a option the whole family is going.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fishwhispererpam
11-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Maybe you can find a local high school kid, teach him and pay him. Also, I think texting or emailing a pic after every visit would be a great idea. I went to a hair show a month ago and taught my friend how to maintain my tanks, fed minimally etc. I brought her back a ton of hair products!

Jeff O
11-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Is there a friend or family member you can ask to help out? Lots of people on here I have seen go on trips and not feed/do wc's until they return (up to 20 days) I personaly would not do this but each person will do things differently. Even if you can hire a neighbor or something like that might help out.

Trier20
11-26-2012, 01:29 PM
What size are the fish do you have. If they are 4.5+ in I'd just get a timer for the light, set it for 4-6 hrs a day, clean the tank very well and do 100% water change and then go.

Discus-Hans
11-27-2012, 05:02 AM
Holidays or vacation? What is that?????

Hans

BoiseDiscusGuy
11-27-2012, 06:02 AM
When we went on vacation, I did not have the option of caretakers while we were gone so, what I did was...I stopped feeding 24 hrs. prior to leaving and did a huge wc (90%) the day we left. When we returned i did another 90% wc and slowly started feeding again. Fish can survive an amazingly long time with no food and water quality is more important than feeding while gone. So, IMO, If you dont feed them via friends or auto feeder, there will be minimal waste and water will remain at a higher quality longer...Just my two cents

sandy
11-27-2012, 06:23 AM
When I went for holiday I kept automate feeder with pellets and my canister kept water clean

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

100fuegos
11-27-2012, 10:44 AM
If adults stop feeding at all. Water quality is more important. Stop feeding 24 H before and make a huge WC just before leaving. It would be a good idea to have more than one heater too, better two small than one big one.

Trier20
11-27-2012, 11:43 AM
When I went for holiday I kept automate feeder with pellets and my canister kept water clean

This is a poor idea. All the crap and food left overs are still there, just not in your view. It's just rotting in your filter not the bottom of your tank.

Eddie
11-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Hi Guys just wondering what people do when they go away for a Long time regarding cleaning? This depends on how long, stocking density, filtration and your water composition.
Is there a way to min algae?? Keep the lights off
Should I drop feeding to once a day?? Depends on the age of the fish. Healthy discus can go a LONG time without food.

Altum Nut
11-27-2012, 07:53 PM
+1 Eddie.
Yours went something like 38 days without food and turned out fine.
Answers to above will determine if this is possible.

...Ralph

Eddie
11-27-2012, 08:06 PM
+1 Eddie.
Yours went something like 38 days without food and turned out fine.
Answers to above will determine if this is possible.

...Ralph

Lol yeah but its not something I recommend. It can be done though. I know a few folks who've had fish go beyond 3 months without food and still be healthy and fat.

sandy
11-27-2012, 09:36 PM
This is a poor idea. All the crap and food left overs are still there, just not in your view. It's just rotting in your filter not the bottom of your tank.

But my feeder was feeding little food so no left over food there in my tank

Bill63SG
11-27-2012, 09:45 PM

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2The canister is part of the system.The water may appear clean,but the waste is trapped in the canister,still in the water.Not to say some doesnt break down,but still there.

dragon1974
04-01-2015, 12:55 PM
For family trips you have to plan them way in advance. For my family trip, I knew at least 5 mths in advance, so I upped the feeding and W/C daily. Stopped feeding 30 hrs before trip. W/C 95% of the water and left for 24 days roughly. I had my IP cam on and I asked my brother in law to pop over when he had a chance. I placed small amounts of food in the freezer (labeling everything) for my BIL to feed them and make sure the temps were ok.
Came back and all was well. Did a couple 100% water change in a 10 or 12 hour period and started feeding 24 hrs after. No deaths and everything was ok.

Had other smaller trips since then and did the same things with nothing happening and all was well when I came back.

Good luck and as everyone said, healthy fish can go a long time without food. And also, another member here said to me, "we rule fish, fish don't rule us" LOL.