PDA

View Full Version : Does sand affect your filter?

Mep1127
12-02-2012, 11:33 PM
I thought I'd ask because I've never had sand in my tank, but I want to add it to my tank soon. I could imagine the sand would get sucked up by my FX5, would that cause harm to the filter? Sand is pretty abrasive don't know if that would harm the impellers and such over the long run.

Chicago Discus
12-02-2012, 11:35 PM
I thought I'd ask because I've never had sand in my tank, but I want to add it to my tank soon. I could imagine the sand would get sucked up by my FX5, would that cause harm to the filter? Sand is pretty abrasive don't know if that would harm the impellers and such over the long run.

Lord yes, nasty stuff but some love it.....Josie

Mep1127
12-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Lord yes, nasty stuff but some love it.....Josie

sigh... I really love the white sand... don't like how gravel gets nasty left overs stuck in it's crevices. Anyone else maintain a tank with sand?

krilinkel
12-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Mario,

Careful cleaning of the sand and the use of a prefilter on your intake tube will minimize the amount of sand that finds its way into the filter. I am running a Rena XP3 and a Marineland canister filter on my 140 gal. and a Rena XP4 and an Eheim 2217 on my 135 gal., both with a sand substrate. I never have sand in any of the filters. I keep the intakes about 4 inches from the bottom.

Hope this helps.

Ned

pastry
12-03-2012, 10:34 AM
Nope. Never had a problem with sand in my filter. Lke Ned said, I keep the intake 4-5 inches above the bottom

DiscusLoverJeff
12-03-2012, 11:53 AM
No problem here with sand in my filters.

Pool filter sand is a bit heavier than normal sand thats why many people use it. Even cleaning it I rarely get the sand up the hose or syphon tube. Also, my intake tube is closer to the middle of the tank in case a fish does stir up the bottom the sand won't get caught up in the filter.

Mep1127
12-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was planning on getting pool filter sand. I'll have to bring the intake up a bit more from the tank bottom. I would add a prefilter but the fx5 has a oddly shaped intake

Elliots
12-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Mario, you can cut a kitchen type sponge to fit. If there is a problem keeping the sponge in place rubber bands work.

Mep1127
12-03-2012, 05:39 PM
Mario, you can cut a kitchen type sponge to fit. If there is a problem keeping the sponge in place rubber bands work.

hm ill give that a shot. It's time to get the sand/plant action in my tank.... bare bottom is such an eye sore :o

discuspaul
12-03-2012, 09:20 PM
You'll have absolutely no trouble with PFS affecting your filters if you get the right PFS.
Try to locate quartz-based silica PFS of #20- grade, or lower grade if you can find it (that would be larger, denser grains).
It's very clean, requires little or no rinsing, will not free-float when disturbed, so will stay out of filter intakes (positioned as others above have indicated), and will not get siphoned up when using a normal wide-mouthed vacuum tool.

joeymac
12-03-2012, 10:35 PM
I have an fx5 and what I did to counter the intake was this...

I pulled the plastic tube and big intake off and threw it away.

Then in its place I used a regular hydro sponge filter and stuck the clear plastic tubing that comes with it right into that grey rubber fitting that comes with the fx5 (the one that transitions the flexible tubing to the stock intake)

Works like a CHARM

Len
12-03-2012, 10:42 PM
I have no issue with sand getting in my filter. My intake as only about in inch off the bottom, but I had to raise it when I put on the sponge prefilter.

Mep1127
12-04-2012, 03:10 AM
I have an fx5 and what I did to counter the intake was this...

I pulled the plastic tube and big intake off and threw it away.

Then in its place I used a regular hydro sponge filter and stuck the clear plastic tubing that comes with it right into that grey rubber fitting that comes with the fx5 (the one that transitions the flexible tubing to the stock intake)

Works like a CHARM

I was thinking of doing something along the lines of that... I'll probably check kensfish for sponges.