PDA

View Full Version : Maximizing refugium filter

Rubberducky
12-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Here is a pic of my current refugium. I'm looking for tips and tricks to help maximize its capabilities.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd86/DGLemon/7e422316.jpg
The refugium measures 36''L x 12"W x 18"H

It is filtering a 125 Gallon tank. 60"L x 18"W x 26"H

I'm thinking about some K1 media, just not sure where and how to place it. Maybe add 24 hour lights and grow java moss, not really sure what to do. It currently enters through an overflow, runs thru the top bin which has a blue bonded filter pad. It then runs thru the second bin which is filled with bio balls. It empties into chamber #1 which is empty(except for temp sensor). Overflows into chamber #2 which has a Jager 300 watt heater and an air stone. Chamber #2 overflows into chamber #3 which has a Lifeguard Quiet One 4000 pump that pushes the filtered water back into the tank.

ashtricks
12-04-2012, 10:09 PM
I would go for water sprite or wysteria instead of java moss. they will grow outside the water too and are easier to manage than java moss. you can really let wysteria grow wild under 24 hr CFL to maximize nitrate consumption. The plants will need Co2 and other ferts, to grow and unless you are supplementing the tank with them. Some substrate with root tabs and plants that will grow out of the water to absorb Co2 from the atmosphere will improve the efficacy of the refugium.
If possible, move the heater to the first chamber and add some substrate to the chamber 2 where you want to add plants. Do the chamber walls have holes in the middle? They make the water flow more manageable for the plants. For K1 media, check Josie's videos.