PDA

View Full Version : Sponge Question

darcy
12-08-2012, 03:15 PM
So I'm almost back in the saddle(yea go ahead and sing the Aerosmith song). Got a 85ish custom tank with sump. I was just going through the plumbing and setting it up how I want. I was going through fish stuff I had back in the day and came across a wack and I mean a wack of Aqua Clear sponges I saved from my old filters. So my Q is could I just fill a chamber of my sump with these and maybe go with a couple of air driven filter sponges and use that for colonizing bacteria? It should work shouldn't it?

BigPoecilia
12-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Darcy, if that's what you want to do yes bacteria will colonize on any open pore structure. Checkout the different ways you can use sponges or foam in your sump at swisstropicals.com

darcy
12-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the link. Yea I pretty much thought it would be ok. I have a wack of foam in there now,I also put some bioballs in there that I had as well. I'm gonna try and find some larger foam and place it against the flow on the return side of the sump,the water will pass through and it should work just fine. Just waiting for the tank to heat up a bit and then throw the ammonia in!