PDA

View Full Version : Bug Bombs and foggers

Skip
12-18-2012, 02:52 PM
Anybody use these in a house while fish tanks were still in house..?

How did u seal/cover them.. ?

I know to turn off airpumps...

pastry
12-18-2012, 03:11 PM
yep, had to do it about a year and a half ago. i only had my 150 downstairs with canopy cover and my filtration was a canister. i turned the lights out on the tank and put a king size sheet over the tank. then bombed the ever living sh** out of the house... twice.

had a flea problem. frontline didn't quite work last year on the dog and it was a royal pain in the *** to get rid of them.

if your air pumps are out then cover them even when you turn them off (the pumps).

Northwoods Discus
12-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Are you treating for fleas? If so I would not use a bomb or fogger. It really is mist that is sprayed up and settles. It does not treat the most important areas under the furniture such a s beds couches etc. I recommend using a spray you direct and get under furniture etc. I would still protect the aquariums and turn off air pumps but it won't get as much in the air.

DiscusLoverJeff
12-18-2012, 03:36 PM
I used a bug bomb 12 years ago for killing flea's in my home that my cats got from being at the vet of all things. Needless to say the ones I purchased said to only keep aquariums covered, it did not say anything about turning off filtration, although I did anyway. I did just that on my 150 gallon tank and all my discus (about 12 adults) were dead the next morning.

I had told this to a lawyer friend of mine the next day when I found the dead fish and took pictures. I sent them to the company who made the product. Within 48 hours their lawyer called to discuss a settlement based on the value of the fish. Taking the pictures of the dead fish in tank and still had the cover over the tops helped my case. They realized that the warning label did not cover the filtration part and I was compensated for the loss. Sad part was I had a couple pairs of discus in the tank who I just got to spawn.

DLock3d
12-18-2012, 04:06 PM
I hope you got a nice settlement

DiscusLoverJeff
12-18-2012, 04:11 PM
I did get a decent settlement and no legal fees. But the loss of the fish was terrible. Replacing them was hard. But the moral of the story is, turn off everything, filters, air and water pumps, clean your storage tanks, etc.

Bug bombs are nasty and most do not do the job as described.

Skip
12-18-2012, 04:12 PM
my neighbor had a roach problem at my apartment complex.. and some have come over and seemed to like all the water and humidity from my fish tanks.. don't really want to tell the apt. complex.. since i don't want to say anything about my several fish tanks .. :) :) :)

so wanted to use a fogger in order to get rid of problem.. but i have all these tanks..

thats why i am asking.. who has used them.. and how did you cover the tanks themselves.. i get the air pump part..

DiscusLoverJeff
12-18-2012, 04:20 PM
I think if you cover the top of the tank with sheets (something breathable) and maybe run a small air pump with an adjustable valve on it to only allow the minimum amount of air you maybe be ok. Once you cover the top and no air gets in at all you risk suffication. Possibly put the air pump up as high as possible since the fog will settle to the bottom and cover it as well with some grocery store bags around the valve where it connects to the tubing. This would at least seal in the pump from any outside contaminents.

Hope all works out for you.

CrazyAngels
12-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Years past, I used to cover the tanks with moist towels/cloths. The reason for doing so is to capture within the moisture any possible intrusion of chemical into the tank. Dry alone can still allow particulates to penetrate and get into the water.

Personally I would look for other chemicals to use. They now have gel like products and others which are very effective at attracting and therefore getting the chemical on the little rascals without having an issue with household pets and most importantly with children if they are around..

Best of luck to you.

Skip
12-18-2012, 04:30 PM
was going to put my hang on back filters and air pumps outside.. :)

DiscusLoverJeff
12-18-2012, 04:32 PM
was going to put my hang on back filters and air pumps outside.. :)

That may be a good idea!

DiscusLoverJeff
12-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Since you do live in an apartment, cover your vents and let your neighbors know what you are doing and when in case they have small children and pets of their own. Those bombs can get everywhere as intended but can travel through vents too.

nc0gnet0
12-18-2012, 04:42 PM
Stock up on some good quality Activated carbon to use for a few days after the teatment.

Mr.Al
12-18-2012, 04:43 PM
Hi Guys,there is two methods to beat this problem, one is use GAC in you aquarium filter to remove any outside chemicals from the fog bombs that might be getting into the aquarium water its self and the second to to place the air pump if small enough into a jar with a lid with two holes in one for letting air in and one for letting out to the aquarium. Agaian you'll have to use GAC in the jar, but slightly moisten it so the fumes will be attrached to the GAC and attach its self to it. I'vve used this method several times in the past with no ill efffects on my discus. Just make sure you use the pellet size GAC when doing this not the power kind, otherwise you have a mess on your hands......Al from Omaha

a volar
12-18-2012, 04:51 PM
GOT CUCARACHAS? :)

Chicago Discus
12-18-2012, 06:53 PM
Orkin Pest & Termite Control

(800) 506-3152

3815 Woodbury Dr, Austin, TX 78704
http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff509/snoopodus/images-5.jpg

GrayLadyPat
12-19-2012, 09:01 AM
On fleas and roaches:

The best thing I have ever used for roaches, even when living in an apartment wasn't a fogger. In fact, I haven't used sprays or foggers in many years, except for one fire ant hill we had come up in the back yard. Get some plain old boric acid. Sprinkle a good sized helping along the back walls of your cabinets, along vents, pipes, and anywhere you might see them. It takes a couple of weeks to get rid of them all, but if any pets or children come into contact with it, there's not an issue of toxicity. You can leave it in your cabinets until it's gone if you like, and it won't harm anything because it's not airborn. Don't spend the money on the "roachproof" type that is supposedly formulated for roaches... It is much cheaper to just buy the boric acid powder and mix in a bit of powdered sugar.

As far as fleas, if your home is carpeted, my vet says that the best thing you can do is completely vacuum your home every 5-7 days. More often if you're a neat freak like me. If you have areas like pet beds and lounge areas, spray them with a localized treatment. I have 3 little dogs and I get a flea infestation about once a year. Thankfully, it only lasts about a week, and after the 2nd or 3rd vacuuming, and a few doggie baths, they're gone.

The point I am trying to make is save the chemicals for the backyard. Inside the house, try the "organic" first and only then, if it doesn't work, go the more drastic route.

I wish you the best. Pests of any kind are a PITA (pain in the "keester")...

pastry
12-19-2012, 09:07 AM
I'd go with what Jorge said first and if that didn't work then spend the money on Josie's plan. Bombs aren't going to work on roaches. Hell, they didn't even work on the fleas. Guess I'm 100% agreeing with Judy as well.

Northwoods Discus
12-19-2012, 09:35 AM
When I was in college we had roaches in the kitchen, the insect kind. It was in a co-op house in an old sorority building. It was a large house like place with about 12 bedrooms. We used Borax around the edges of the kitchen. The roaches got the powder on them and probably caused dessication. It is non toxic and cheap. You would not have toxins sprayed around. You would have to place it where the move through.

kimbo
12-19-2012, 06:27 PM
unfortunately after moving from some very low rent apartments I had to get an exterminator at my house. He used a gel bait that worked well for controlling bugs. He also said that if that did not work that he would have to come back and spray and we would have to cover all the tanks with saran wrap and turn off all bubblers.

Lenin
12-19-2012, 08:10 PM
Foggers will not work on roaches, need to use something that they will make contact with, since u have a large expensive collection, I would hire a pro to do it

Sent from my M9300 using Tapatalk 2