PDA

View Full Version : 20 things I have learned...from a newbie standpoint :D

GrayLadyPat
12-21-2012, 07:39 PM
First, I want to thank everyone here who has helped me with my discus. As some of you know, I obtained them through a series of unfortunate events, and I have had to learn some things pretty fast. Through these forums, and private messages, I am now well on my way to caring for my unexpected residents.

Here's a few things I have learned:

1. Discus are not fish. They are puppies with fins. They want all the attention all the time. They like to play, and they even watch TV. I am pretty sure that one is addicted to HGTV, and even pouts when I turn it off.

2. Stop worrying about every little spot. They'll sometimes run into things, or have a fight, or simply try to fit somewhere they can't, and will get small little injuries that clear up in a few days.

3. Change the water

4. Get familiar with poo. If it's unusual, then there's an issue. Sometimes it's too much of a certain food, other times it could be more serious, but notice what they excrete. It always warrants further investigation.

5. Be careful what you put in your tank. I discovered quite by accident that Discus do not necessarily get along with some so-called community fish. I had to re-home a couple of tetras due to fin nipping and general aggression, even though they were much smaller than the discus.

6. Change the water

7. Read. There is a host of information here and other places that really help. Many times, reading can head off problems you didn't even know you had. Case in point: I needed some natural algae control. I learned that "algae eaters" tend to get hooked on discus slime, therefore I avoided putting them in my tank. Not a big thing, I know, but I was happy that I learned something BEFORE I got into trouble.

8. Cleaning a planted tank such as mine is hard, but it can be done. A bit of creative rearranging can work wonders for comfortable vacuuming, and still have that nice, planted look.

9. Change the water

10. Sometimes they die. Sometimes, we will have no idea why. Sometimes, we will know why, and try to treat them for what ails them, and they still die. All we can do is take care of the rest, and someday replace them.

11. You will become attached. I named mine.

12. Even if you never plan to breed them (as I do not) you will still wonder if two are pairing up. I think I may have a pair on my hands. Wonder what their fry will look like?

13. Change the water

14. Test the water. Use a good test kit, and not the strips. Make sure none of the testing chemicals are past their expiration date.

15. Be careful what you've had your hands in before putting them in the tank. Chemicals can last through hand washing. Wearing sterile gloves works, but simply being careful is ok. One emergency water change because I used polish remover and didn't sufficiently clean my hands was all it took for me to learn this one.

16. Stunted fish can be as beautiful to look at as show fish. I am pretty sure all of mine are stunted, and they are beautiful. I have what I believe to be a red turq that has more color than some of the so-called "show" fish I have seen. I can see the blues and reds from across the room. He's around 5" and shaped somewhat like a football. I don't think he will get any bigger or rounder, but his coloring and pattern is beyond what I could have hoped. Everyone who comes over wants to know what he is (I don't have many "discus people" as friends.)

17. Yep... Change the water again.

18. Make sure your "O" rings are in good, working order...leaky canister filters are not a good thing... Ok, so this one isn't discus specific, but it saved my carpet anyway.

19. Bioload is not as important when you do enough water changes as it is if you are only changing your water once a week, as I was doing before discus. I know my tank is a bit overcrowded (thanks alot, platies, for all the free food, and those two little fry who seem to be surviving against all odds) but the parameters are good, and everyone is thriving.

20. As I may have mentioned before, frequent water changes are the stuff of happy discus. I can tell immediately if I have been lax. They pout, hide, and act "off" unless I keep their home clean. The other fish in my tank agree.

Thanks again for helping me. If it weren't for this site, I am pretty sure than my adopted discus would have succumbed to ignorance long before now.

Cheers!
Judy

Second Hand Pat
12-21-2012, 07:44 PM
What a pleasure to read Judy and some important lessons for sure.
Pat

Trier20
12-21-2012, 07:55 PM
Thanks for sharing with us Judy! I'm sure someone will get something out of this along the way. I always smile when you talk about the one addicted to tv :)

a volar
12-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Nice write up Judy :)

Crystalwaters
12-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Really enjoyed reading that! Thanks :)

Poco
12-21-2012, 10:08 PM
Nice and easy to read! Thanks for sharing.

AndLaw134
12-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Very nice and concise. Now off to do a water change

pastry
12-21-2012, 10:44 PM
Judy, you have too much time on your hands, woman... :p

I'm willing to bet in less than a year you'll be driving your husband crazy by setting up a breeding tank

you've been bitten by the bug BAAAAAAD

papyol
12-21-2012, 10:44 PM
:thumbsup:

pastry
12-21-2012, 10:45 PM
p.s. -- don't forget to change the water

John_Nicholson
12-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Great post. While I do try to help people where I can I must admit I really get tired of the lazy spoiled people that never read what is here, that never think for themselves, they somehow think they are entitled to everyones hard earned knowledge without do any work themselves, and of course the ones that ask a question but argue with you because they don't like the answer.....A post like yours where you have show the knowledge that you have gained really helps an old grump like myself.

Thanks.

-john

discuspaul
12-21-2012, 11:03 PM
Hilarious, but great - well told Judy !
You've said many things, in a light, spirited, amusing way, but very seriously & accurately as well - I loved it !

pastry
12-21-2012, 11:07 PM
John, we're not all entitled? :p DAMN'T!!!!! I want my money back

John, have to admit that I couldn't stand your responses to people initially but now understand. You're still a grump sh** but I'd be lying if I didn't learn from you

Brirvhd
12-22-2012, 12:56 AM
Very well written Judy, even made me feel good:) after seeing my aqua pets enjoying the WC that I just completed!!
I've only recently gotten back into raising discus, and I'm going to copy and paste your post to my wife, so she'll have a better understanding the obsession some of us have for these wonderful fish!!!

sandy
12-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Discus are not fish. They are puppies with fins. They want all the attention all the time. They like to play, and they even watch TV. I am pretty sure that one is addicted to HGTV, and even pouts when I turn it off.

+1 love it :D

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

GrayLadyPat
12-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Judy, you have too much time on your hands, woman... :p

I'm willing to bet in less than a year you'll be driving your husband crazy by setting up a breeding tank

you've been bitten by the bug BAAAAAAD

I have enough trouble convincing him that I need to clean out the old 1g cube my granddaughter left to grow brine shrimp...

DiscusLoverJeff
12-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Great post Judy.

The Grasshopper is becoming the Master!

Bud Smith
12-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Absolutley fantastic post - well said

manzpants92
12-22-2012, 12:23 PM
Great post

John_Nicholson
12-22-2012, 02:37 PM
John, we're not all entitled? :p DAMN'T!!!!! I want my money back

John, have to admit that I couldn't stand your responses to people initially but now understand. You're still a grump sh** but I'd be lying if I didn't learn from you

LOL...Glad to know that I am making headway.....

-john

discusplantedtanklover
12-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Very useful post. Thanks

Donno
12-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Great post. While I do try to help people where I can I must admit I really get tired of the lazy spoiled people that never read what is here, that never think for themselves, they somehow think they are entitled to everyones hard earned knowledge without do any work themselves, and of course the ones that ask a question but argue with you because they don't like the answer.....A post like yours where you have show the knowledge that you have gained really helps an old grump like myself.

Thanks.

-john

Let me disagree. Some of the posters on here are so arrogant that it puts off new people to the hobby. "Do a search, read, and search some more" come across as really arrogant responses.

You know, sometimes its easier and faster to just answer peoples questions.

I really hate the arrogance of some of the posters on this website.

DiscusBR
12-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Great thread! Really enjoyed reading your experiences.

Let me disagree. Some of the posters on here are so arrogant that it puts off new people to the hobby. "Do a search, read, and search some more" come across as really arrogant responses.

I have been a forum member for more than two years and as newbie or not I have never felt put off by posts that ask people to do some research before asking questions. Those people being direct and telling people to read more might have poor social skills, but they have a wealth of knowledge that any newbie will benefit from. This is a terrific community and I think it is just unfair to continue disseminating unproven arguments about people leaving the hobby because their feelings got hurt by some unkind answer here in the forum. And frankly if people left the hobby because they wanted shortcuts instead of doing the hard work that learning requires, than it might be good for the hobby. Sorry, just wanted to defend the forum.

John_Nicholson
12-22-2012, 11:33 PM

How is it arrogance to expect people to do their own part? What entitles you to the right to have other people take time out of thier busy lives to answer a question for you that has already been answered many time over already?

-john

lipadj46
12-22-2012, 11:36 PM
Kids these days expect to be spoon fed, its how they have been raised

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

TNT77
12-23-2012, 12:51 AM
How is it arrogance to expect people to do their own part? What entitles you to the right to have other people take time out of thier busy lives to answer a question for you that has already been answered many time over already?

-john
+1 If the person asking doesnt want to put the effort forth to do a search the just takes the push of some buttons then most likely discus will be more effort than they want to put out.

a volar
12-23-2012, 01:09 AM

Yes, some times it may sound arrogant, but also there is no direct answer to some questions that the best thing to do is to advise the person asking to read more on the subject, or could be something that there all ready a lot of treads about it....... lastly if people get out the hobby because got her/his feelings hurt then they don't belong to the hobby... JMO

Cosgrovb
12-23-2012, 01:39 AM
+1!

-john

Trier20
12-23-2012, 01:56 AM

I personally don't believe it is arrogance. I believe that they have probably typed the response SO many times that they are tired of it. I think it's better than just looking at the question and moving on without a response.

DiscusLoverJeff
12-23-2012, 08:33 AM
I think the "Advanced Search" bar here is such a great tool for beginners or "experts" to find what they need. I have used it more times than I can count and each time it helps in one area or another. There is so much experience on this forum whether in a 10 year old thread or a 10 minutes ago thread, you can find almost anything.

When a beginner comes into this forum, it must be like walking into your own virtual discus library.

Everyday another Grasshopper becomes the Master!

Donno
12-23-2012, 06:52 PM
Well the arrogance abounds from the regulars here. I personally have learned a lot from this website but I am disgusted by the arrogance. If you want to help people do it. If you want to buck up and tell people to search for information then Google is a lot better tool.

This website disgusts me. You don't help new people to the hobby, you piss them off and I'm one of them.

GrayLadyPat
12-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Well the arrogance abounds from the regulars here. I personally have learned a lot from this website but I am disgusted by the arrogance. If you want to help people do it. If you want to buck up and tell people to search for information then Google is a lot better tool.

This website disgusts me. You don't help new people to the hobby, you piss them off and I'm one of them.

As someone "new to the hobby" and definitely NOT pissed off, I can tell you the same thing I have told forum trolls for my entire online life:

If you are unhappy with the way a conversation is going, or you do not like the tone of a forum, there is absolutely nothing that is holding you here. In my humble opinion, the only arrogance I see in this thread is coming from one who thinks all new people are turned off by honest, if less than sweet, responses to questions that could have been answered with but a little effort on their part.

In other words, if this pisses you off, why keep coming back to derail MY thread?

Apologies to the "arrogant regulars" ;)

a volar
12-23-2012, 07:26 PM
In other words, if this pisses you off, why keep coming back to derail MY thread?

I like that! :)

John_Nicholson
12-23-2012, 07:56 PM
"In other words, if this pisses you off, why keep coming back to derail MY thread?"

Don't tell my wife but I think I am in love.....LOL.

-john

GrayLadyPat
12-23-2012, 08:04 PM
21. Change the Water...

Eddie
12-23-2012, 08:59 PM

If the website disgusts you, don't keep coming back.

As someone "new to the hobby" and definitely NOT pissed off, I can tell you the same thing I have told forum trolls for my entire online life:

If you are unhappy with the way a conversation is going, or you do not like the tone of a forum, there is absolutely nothing that is holding you here. In my humble opinion, the only arrogance I see in this thread is coming from one who thinks all new people are turned off by honest, if less than sweet, responses to questions that could have been answered with but a little effort on their part.

touché

"In other words, if this pisses you off, why keep coming back to derail MY thread?"

Don't tell my wife but I think I am in love.....LOL.

-john

LMAO

Second Hand Pat
12-23-2012, 09:34 PM

You just can not make everyone happy

manzpants92
12-23-2012, 09:59 PM

Not to keep adding on but really you've got to realize....

In all reality the people here are more than willing to help you...they may give you an answer you don't wanna hear but most likely its the truth, and its going to help your fish. The "arrogant" people, which i can see where you get that from at times, may shut you down on a concept or a point you make but again are probably giving you information that is going to help you and your fish. You yourself said that you have "learned a lot", why not be thankful for that? Obviously the website has given back to you in a way and given you more knowledge than you started off with so why does it disgust you? If someone on here tells you to google the answer maybe its because they don't know the answer, they are again trying to help you, not everyone on here knows the answer to every question.

Not trying to be arrogant...just speculating on what i have realized for myself

Jdizon20
12-23-2012, 10:15 PM

The simply website is a huge community and the reality is we all don't need to get along. Many personalities abound. Some come here to make friends, some to get information, ask for help, find a sponsor. I definitely understand where you're coming from. At the end of the day We are all here for the love of our discus fish. Don't let some personalities discourage you from this great resource.

Keith Perkins
12-23-2012, 10:48 PM
The simply website is a huge community and the reality is we all don't need to get along. Many personalities abound. Some come here to make friends, some to get information, ask for help, find a sponsor. I definitely understand where you're coming from. At the end of the day We are all here for the love of our discus fish. Don't let some personalities discourage you from this great resource.

You forgot those who come to troll.

manzpants92
12-23-2012, 10:55 PM
You forgot those who come to troll.

lol