PDA

View Full Version : What I've learned in three weeks.

SMB2
12-28-2012, 03:41 PM
What I’ve learned in three weeks.

1] I’m glad there is Simply Discus, but reading all the stickies for the last four months is like reading baby books. When you bring the kid(s) home it all goes out the window.

2] If your monthly water bill doesn’t double for every 100gals of aquarium water, you’re not doing enough water changes.
A] Corollary: Don’t post a question about your fish unless you have done several water changes.
B] Corollary: Don't chase the Ph.

3] If you make your own food, wait until the spouse is out of the house, they might think you are starting to cook.
A] Corollary: Throw out the first batch.
B] Corollary: If you are kitchen challenged use a mechanical meat grinder.
C] Corollary: Blenders can catch on fire.
D] Corollary: Beef heart, Lean beef, Salmon, Buffalo, Ostrich, regardless, your fish will eat better than you do.

4] Dark fish may be sick. They may be pissed off. They may live in a tank with dark substrate and dark wood. They may not tell you why they are dark.
A] Corollary: If a fish doesn’t eat a live Blackworm, it’s dead. Thank you Eddie.
B] Corollary: I am probably responsible for 1/3 of Eddie’s 27k+ posts.
C] Corollary: Don’t use the words Live Blackworm in a post.

5] The female fish is the one that lays eggs. Otherwise all bets are off.

6] Keeping Discus is more art than science. But degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Hydrology and Pharmacy are helpful.

7] Lots of people on the Forum know tons of stuff. Some think they do. When you can tell the difference you have arrived.
A] Corollary: I am still a moron.

8] Simply Discus is an OXYMORON.

Thanks everybody for your help in the first three weeks. I hope I can survive the year and the fish as well.
Some photos.

The tank at five months and 6 RT Discus at three weeks 77125

A dark fish 77126

My wood 77127

Wannabe pair 77128

Glamor shot 77129

chaoslite
12-28-2012, 03:51 PM
I love it!! But Ostrich? No way I am feeding that to my fish. It would be on the grill 45 minutes after being brought into the house and lightly marinated.

Mishka

Disgirl
12-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Glad to have you here with us at SD and I hope you have lots of success. But even if you don't, you at least have writing and photography to claim expertise in!
Barb

Larry Bugg
12-28-2012, 04:41 PM
Excellent post.

Oh how true!!
7] Lots of people on the Forum know tons of stuff. Some think they do.

discuspaul
12-28-2012, 05:00 PM
Love the post ! - You not only have good insight into discus care & behavior, but also a way with words and levity as well !

Eward
12-28-2012, 05:24 PM
A blender can catch fire? How the &@?! did you do that?

SMB2
12-28-2012, 05:35 PM
A blender can catch fire? How the &@?! did you do that?

:o
So they are not supposed to smoke like that?

GrayLadyPat
12-28-2012, 06:09 PM
[9] For every 7 posts that are helpful, there will be 1.5 posts from people who will take the advice they've been given and completely ignore it.

and Blenders only smoke if they have fine cigars...otherwise, they wave their hands and complain about second hand smoke...

Cheers!

Eddie
12-28-2012, 06:52 PM
Haha, great post!

SMB2
12-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Eddie, I was just looking at your SUPER TUNA/SALMON mix.
That's the blender I burned up!
Good excuse to get a small food processor.

Poco
12-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Truly enjoyed your post!

YSS
12-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Well done, Stan. Getting my degrees in physics and mechanical & aerospace engineering was easier than keeping a tank full of healthy discus. :) I am predicting a larger tank in your future.

SMB2
12-29-2012, 11:28 PM
Would that I had room for a bigger tank! One is supposed to simplify in retirement.
Might squeeze in another 90 gal one day!
Would like to get some more experience though. Reefs were easy for me as I know a fair amount about the ecology and behavior of marine fish. This is a whole new ballgame. There is so much behavioral stuff going on in my tank right now and I wish I knew what was "normal". At some point you just have to ride it out.

Eddie
12-30-2012, 12:09 AM
Eddie, I was just looking at your SUPER TUNA/SALMON mix.
That's the blender I burned up!
Good excuse to get a small food processor.

I use a meat grinder now and only use a food processor for the additives.

SMB2
12-30-2012, 12:26 AM
Going to try my second batch tomorrow. The Fire Dept. is just down the street and on standby.

I have a hand crank meat grinder, (no electricity!!!). Once you grind the fish etc do you put it in the food processor? I have Baby Spinach, Garlic and vits. to add (MVI, Spir. and Fish Oil).
How fine do you process the spinach/Red lettuce or whatever?
Have fresh Salmon, Cod, Shrimp and lean beef.

Eddie
12-30-2012, 12:45 AM
I run all the meat, fish, mussels, etc. through the meat grinder first. Then I process all the NON-meat items really well in the food processor. Then I spoon mix the NON-meat items into the ground meat and then run it all through the grinder once again.

SMB2
12-31-2012, 01:19 AM
OK.
Made my second batch, and nothing caught on fire. My wife however thinks I stunk up the kitchen.

Lean ground beaf, salmon, cod, shrimp as the base. Spinach, garlic, paprika, beaf heart flakes, Spectrum Discus, spir, MVI, and fish oil the additives.
Much firmer mix this time. Will try it in the morning, after the live blackworm feeding ........................:bounce2:

pcdebb
01-01-2013, 05:45 AM
You guys are great, I love it! :)

Tommy Saville
01-01-2013, 07:38 AM
Loved reading all this ! I've been keeping Discus 6 months and have learned a lot. But I'll have to lighten up (is the in-word "chillax"?) a lot before I can laugh at problems like you do ! Big pat on the back to you !

krislewis3
01-01-2013, 08:07 AM
I'm thinking that you must have had lunch with the Dali Lammas prior to your post!!!!

Great wisdom and humor.......

DiscusBR
01-01-2013, 09:44 AM
Great wisdom and humor.......

I completely agree. I really enjoyed the post.

But did you mean three months or three weeks? You have learned a lot in such a short period.

SMB2
01-01-2013, 05:02 PM
But did you mean three months or three weeks? You have learned a lot in such a short period.

Well I have had the Discus three weeks (almost four now) but the tank was up and running for over four months.
When I first set up the planted aquarium, the Planted Tank Forum had me convinced that my tank would soon turn into algae soup. When I got past that scare (so far), then I was ready for the flat fish. But then I was convinced by SD you couldn't have Discus with plants. That still remains to be seen.
For me the best advice was to get big fish from a reputable dealer. That takes a lot of the worry out, but this is certainly a challenge.
As I deal with retirement I knew the water works might be an issue, I just didn't realize 50 gallons a day...

kimbo
01-01-2013, 07:11 PM
You have a gift for photography and your fish are pretty too!

Herbicidal
01-02-2013, 04:07 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed your post. Made me laugh! Beautiful Discus too. :)

John_Nicholson
01-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Great post but you are giving Eddie to much credit.....LOL.

-john

Moon
01-02-2013, 06:09 PM
I use a meat grinder now and only use a food processor for the additives.

I burnt out a meatgrinder last week. I was trying to grind frozen spinach.

yim11
01-02-2013, 06:17 PM
This is a great post!

C] Corollary: Don’t use the words Live Blackworm in a post.

That was one of 2 facts I figured no one here would pick up on...

Eddie
01-02-2013, 07:34 PM
Great post but you are giving Eddie to much credit.....LOL.

-john

LMAO

I burnt out a meatgrinder last week. I was trying to grind frozen spinach.

Dang, sorry to hear! I use the processor for the frozen veggies. Plus I think that my model of meat grinder could grind concrete. LOL

SMB2
01-02-2013, 11:07 PM
I haven't tried concrete yet, is it high in protein? Can I use it instead of beef heart?

Elliots
01-02-2013, 11:30 PM
i do not know if concrete is high in protein but it contains many useful minerals.

krislewis3
01-03-2013, 08:39 AM
This is a great post!

That was one of 2 facts I figured no one here would pick up on...

I must say that it left me scratching my head!!!! Please explain!!!!

SMB2
01-03-2013, 11:30 PM
Well the PetCo in N. Virginia is having a dollar per gallon sale. My wife was picking up dog food and I came up to the check out counter with a 29 gal tank! She looked at me like a kid who wants that chocolate bar at the check out; you know...PUT THAT BACK!
I referenced SD to explain my dire need for a QT/hosp. tank. It worked. Thanks everybody.

Eddie
01-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Well the PetCo in N. Virginia is having a dollar per gallon sale. My wife was picking up dog food and I came up to the check out counter with a 29 gal tank! She looked at me like a kid who wants that chocolate bar at the check out; you know...PUT THAT BACK!
I referenced SD to explain my dire need for a QT/hosp. tank. It worked. Thanks everybody.

LOL, awesome!

Tazalanche
01-04-2013, 11:04 AM
I referenced SD to explain my dire need for a QT/hosp. tank. It worked. Thanks everybody.Heheh! Excellent!

YSS
01-04-2013, 03:29 PM

You couldn't pick up a 55G? :)

SMB2
01-04-2013, 05:50 PM
No it was to heavy;)
The 40 breeders seem to be the best deal but until I turn the basement guest room into a fish room........