PDA

View Full Version : Enough Airation?

mikle81
12-29-2012, 12:22 PM
Hi everyone,

Is there any way to tell if you have enough airation in your tank?

Thanks in advance!

Bill63SG
12-29-2012, 01:10 PM
Your fish will tell you.Aside from that,thats a open-ended question.How big a tank,how many airstones,sponges?

DerekFF
12-29-2012, 03:22 PM
Water can only hold so much oxygen in it. You can bubble away all day long and achieve nothing more than if you just had some surface agitation from a power head or spray bar

mikle81
12-29-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the responses!

My tank size is - 63" x 17" x 14"

The only way I am currently aerating the water is by surface agitation from a spray bar connected to my Eheim 2073 external canister filter. Up until last night I also had a spray bar connected to a Fluval 305 at the other end of the tank, so the two spray bars were at opposite ends facing each other, providing ripples the full length of the tank.

I have been having problems trying to maintain the same temperature across the full length of the tank and all of the Discus seem to prefer the left side hardly ever going into the right side and thought it may have something to do with the filter setup, so have made some alterations. I now have the two intakes at one end and the two spray bars at the other. One is submerged about halfway down the tank and the other is still at the surface creating ripples, but effectively I've halved the amount of surface water agitation.

I also got some new fish today and was just a bit concerned I may not be getting enough oxygen into the water for them all.

Thanks!

DerekFF
12-29-2012, 04:35 PM
If you have decent surface agitation aimed across the tank like that you're golden

mikle81
12-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Perfect, thanks!