PDA

View Full Version : Taking the Plunge-Beginning Discus Tank

Cocobid
12-31-2012, 09:43 PM
HI My name is Karen....I have lurked here for a long time. This is a fantastic site~~~~

Here is my history my 1st tank was a salt tank in the early 1970's, and currently we have ohhh 10ish tanks of various sizes running. Years ago my Mom was declining and life not really good, and needed something to make me smile and in walked the Goldfish..yes goldfish..they did the trick and blood pressure down and life when I came home..was calming.
They also require large tanks and pristine water. That later part was a real learning curve.

So here we are today...we are down to 1 GF and 2GF tanks that are bare bottom with heavy anubius planting on driftwood.
Have always wished for a Discus tank and now I want the 55G to be one.
Here is what she has 2028 Eheim pulled though a full tank partition of Poret filter. Accompanied by a HOB for floor of the tank filtering.
This tank has been up and running about 8/9 years.

Our water..we in N.Texas and we have hard water, that said a lot of people around here are discus people. We have sanitized city water...

Since this tank had goldfish it's entire life..what can I do to make sure we are not starting off to a bad start for discus. That said I really really do not want to kill the filter~~~
I have a 5lb tub of PP.
Time...no hurry..just want to avoid killing these beautiful fish. I would like to keep the anubius and driftwood?? Driftwood should help lower the ph a bit and well since no soil the organics that plants/debris produce is easily managed. My Husband viewed some Discus lately and fell in love.

Let's me give you a good memory test regarding our water... this is where it runs day in day out.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v468/Cocobid/th_Picture024-1.jpg (http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/Cocobid/media/Picture024-1.jpg.html)
Keeping clean water is not an issue.

One more ... next to this tank is a 60 cube... it could be the designated tank!!! What ever you'all feel the discus would be more comfortable in dimension wise I'm fine...just let me know.

Jump in....please... advise, suggest...!!!

Thank You Karen;)

Chicago Discus
12-31-2012, 10:22 PM
everything looks and sounds great its very addicting LOL....Josie

P.S. I like your Cockatoo very cute...I have two Macaws :)

Chicago Discus
12-31-2012, 10:34 PM
As far as the tank goes I would start from scratch and disinfect the tank and kill all the good and bad bacteria. Next I would start cycling the new tank (old 55) with bio-balls or fish less cycle which ever you prefer. You will be changing lots of water so an eight year old cycled tank wont make much of a difference. The reason I suggest for you to start over is because you want to make sure that you start off with a clean slate with no other fish or plants. Dont worry about the PH unless you wish to breed, also I would suggest that you get Discus that are at least 3" to 4" to start with at that size they are a little easier to deal with and you guys can teach each other. And dont worry so much and enjoy the hobby.......Josie

zimmjeff
12-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Read read read and more reading. Welcome and good luck. Jeff

matt56
12-31-2012, 11:01 PM
As far as the tank goes I would start from scratch and disinfect the tank and kill all the good and bad bacteria. Next I would start cycling the new tank (old 55) with bio-balls or fish less cycle which ever you prefer. You will be changing lots of water so an eight year old cycled tank wont make much of a difference. The reason I suggest for you to start over is because you want to make sure that you start off with a clean slate with no other fish or plants. Dont worry about the PH unless you wish to breed, also I would suggest that you get Discus that are at least 3" to 4" to start with at that size they are a little easier to deal with and you guys can teach each other. And dont worry so much and enjoy the hobby.......Josie

+1. My fish are in 8.4 ph water and are doing great so dont worry about it. Also as josie said start out with 3"+ fish. I started with 3" and i wish i had saved a little longer and gotten 4 inch fish. Also i would recommend looking at sponsors here such as josie or other sponsors on here for your fish. Lastly on the fishless cycle, theres a product called aquarium pure that will essentially cycle a tank instantly. They are little balls with bacteria that biodegrade when introduced to water releasing the bacteria. Josie sells it, and i used it to stock my little brothers 50 gallon diamond tetra tank, worked perfectly, though i did have die off i know it wasn't from water parameters,since i never even saw an ammonia or nitrite spike, but from disease introduced from the store tanks.

Cocobid
01-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Thank You Thank You~~..
Life has reared it's head around here...My Husband & I own a few businesses and at our main plant our large commercial water line broke... on New Years Eve..need I mention what a mess this has been!

Ok..Now I can get back to Discus planning.

I really want to keep my anubius & driftwood for this tank and not destroy them, how best do you'all feel I can do this. This tank is elevated in 5' off the floor dividing 2 room, so I would like to sanitize the tank and filter without taking the tank down. I just know come March or April we will have Discus swimming in there ;)

Just shoot me a road map... I've taken tanks that were empty many times...we all have; but this one I really just want to leave in place. It would be nice if I could run something though the filter/tank and just let it run..and kill any nasties that are lurking. I will pull the Poret while all of this is going on. I LOVE Poret it is a super bio machine. The Europeans use it extensively.
Thank You Karen