PDA

View Full Version : my first discus

pcdebb
01-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Hello all, I finally got my first discus over the weekend. I tried to go by all the good advice that I've been reading over (and over and over again) here on this site to make sure I picked a good one. I hope I did. I'd like to know what strain he is, I didnt find anything that looked like him in the strains thread. I was told he was around 4~6 months old and tank raised

Thanks

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1995/fishie.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/651/fishie.jpg/)

a volar
01-01-2013, 05:43 PM
Looks like White Angel, or maybe a little pale blue diamond, where you get it from? how big it is?

Eddie
01-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Actually looks more like a snow white or white diamond. White Angels have a red eye. The fish is set-back a bit as the eye to body ratio isn't too good. You could pump it up with good food and water and it should gain some size.

pcdebb
01-01-2013, 07:00 PM
thank you both for your replies. I dont know how to measure his size, but he's certainly not an adult. I could put him in the palm of my hand. LFS told me the age between 4 and 6 months

I was worried about the eye size as I was reading on that. I dont know what they fed him, but I'm feeding a mix of frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms right now. when should I add beefheart? I know that's what they like. what other things can I feed him? I've got my ro/di system going so I'll be getting into my water changes as I should, and I have two filters on the tank as well. I'm in love with this fish.

kimbo
01-01-2013, 07:44 PM
Did you only get one?

Eddie
01-01-2013, 07:57 PM
thank you both for your replies. I dont know how to measure his size, but he's certainly not an adult. I could put him in the palm of my hand. LFS told me the age between 4 and 6 months

I was worried about the eye size as I was reading on that. I dont know what they fed him, but I'm feeding a mix of frozen brine shrimp and frozen bloodworms right now. when should I add beefheart? I know that's what they like. what other things can I feed him? I've got my ro/di system going so I'll be getting into my water changes as I should, and I have two filters on the tank as well. I'm in love with this fish.

You can feed beefheart from the start! LOL I generally put mine on beefheart at like 2 weeks so this fish is well beyond that. Is there a reason you are going to run an RO/DI system? I'd save my money and buy more fish if you did only get one. With a good quarantine that is. ;)

sandy
01-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Is that planted tank??

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

pcdebb
01-02-2013, 12:38 AM
kimbo, I got one now, but I absolutely plan on getting at least one more, maybe two more, and I plan on doing that by the weekend.

Eddie, I've been running a ro/di system for a while now, but I just "upgraded" it. I have well water here and it's nasty. I have a 20 gallon that I'm cleaning up to be quarantine. I realized I have saltwater QT but not freshwater (that's my angelfish breeder)

sandy, yes, this is a planted tank

Tharr
01-02-2013, 04:54 AM
If you do get more discus, you will surely have to QT them before adding them to the tank.

Foods can be varied right from the beginning.

Planted tanks are not the best for growing out discus to adult size due to the frequent feeding and cleaning schedule. So if you can, put him, and if you are getting more, in a bare bottom to grow them out and then add them to the planted show tank. Just my opinion.

4 or more discus with a lot of space should be good.

Good looking fish there! Could be slightly stunted but will grow if you take good care!

pcdebb
01-04-2013, 04:38 AM
my light fixture burned out, the tank was in the dark all day! not sure what happened exactly, but both bulbs in the fixture are out, only one seems burnt out. will see if replacing the bulb will help, may end up just buying something new.

if I get new, will an LED light be fine?

http://imageshack.us/a/img801/9331/lighty.th.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/lighty.jpg/)

Kingin
01-05-2013, 01:44 AM
I think white diamond since mines looks exactly the same lol. Honestly mines is kinda weird loves to be alone he was being very aggressive to others loves to eat and horde all the food so I threw him in a 5gal tank for a month and he loved it. Feed him some tetra color bits and he will get a little orange hue lol

But like others say should get a couple more discus and Qurantine I learned the hard way.
Be careful with beefheart mix with a planted tank, I would recommend home made a lot easier to clean up the uneaten pcs.

pcdebb
01-08-2013, 05:46 AM
well i got me a second one over the weekend, he's of a snakeskin strain. I did my acclimation and had every intent on putting him in my 10 gallon first but had a senior moment and put him in the main tank instead. he was getting along well, but my white diamond kinda chased him around and he stayed very well hidden to the point that it worried me. I have since moved the new one to the 10 gallon by himself. He's taken some slight interest in the bloodworms and he's sort of sulking at the bottom and hanging around the heater but that's it. his color had darkened when he was hiding, but he's lightened up quite a bit since I've separated him.

anything special I need to be doing for him in the qt? it's a basic setup, nothing but a filter and an airstone, no decorations, bare bottom tank. I noticed the temp was a little low at 80, but I've set the heater to get it up to about 86.