PDA

View Full Version : Grow out tanks

beerocks
01-02-2013, 05:31 AM
I am soon getting 5 quarter sized frys and Im planning on growing them out in a 55. Is that too big for the frys? And also I was planning on using an Aquaclear 110 would a sponge filter be better? I am planning on doing water changes once a day about 30%

Eddie
01-02-2013, 06:31 AM
I am soon getting 5 quarter sized frys and Im planning on growing them out in a 55. Is that too big for the frys? And also I was planning on using an Aquaclear 110 would a sponge filter be better? I am planning on doing water changes once a day about 30%

It's a little large, better to use a sheet of poret foam and section off the tank to keep the fish more bundled together. As the fish grow, you can adjust the foam. I'd use both a sponge filter and the AC filter. 5 isn't a great number to have when getting small juveniles because not all of them will develop nicely. I'd save your money and get a dozen quarter inch fry.

beerocks
01-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Okay thank you I'll try that. With regards to the number of fry being a college student I have tuition and apartment rent too so Erick of carolina discus gave me an offer on 5 quarter sized that I could handle. But 12 is probably going to be more than my expenses allows me.

Eddie
01-02-2013, 05:17 PM
Okay thank you I'll try that. With regards to the number of fry being a college student I have tuition and apartment rent too so Erick of carolina discus gave me an offer on 5 quarter sized that I could handle. But 12 is probably going to be more than my expenses allows me.

Alright but maybe 1 or 2 more if you can.

Trier20
01-02-2013, 05:34 PM

Lay off the beer for a couple weeks! ;) that should get ya there lol :)

a volar
01-02-2013, 06:45 PM

Good advice! lol

beerocks
01-03-2013, 04:33 AM

Wouldn't be college without the binge drinking. Haha

Trier20
01-03-2013, 01:20 PM
Wouldn't be college without the binge drinking. Haha

That is a true statement. You'll soon find with discus most of your drinking money is going to end up going in the tank. Lol I used to drink quite a bit now instead of having beers at night I clean tanks. I didn't even notice it happening.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-03-2013, 01:30 PM
Lol I used to drink quite a bit

Come on Brandon, you "use" to drink quite a bit, Lol. You probably just figured a way to do both by cutting your beer quality down from the good stuff to Hams, or Schlitz, Lol.

beerocks
01-04-2013, 09:15 PM
That is a true statement. You'll soon find with discus most of your drinking money is going to end up going in the tank. Lol I used to drink quite a bit now instead of having beers at night I clean tanks. I didn't even notice it happening.

I'm fine with that. I'm not a big drinker myself.