PDA

View Full Version : Peppering..

JonC
01-03-2013, 08:58 AM
I was thinking this guy was a Red melon or something similar. As he has grown he’s developed some peppering. Does that mean he must have some Pigeon in him?..

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee277/anatol74/20130101_190028.jpg
http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee277/anatol74/20130101_190022.jpg

DiscusLoverJeff
01-03-2013, 09:00 AM
Yep!

Eddie
01-03-2013, 09:22 AM
Yep!

+1

darcy
01-03-2013, 09:36 AM
Agreed. You may be able to make the peppering fade somewhat by adding a blue background instead of the black.

JonC
01-03-2013, 10:08 AM
That's what I thought, thanks..

Eddie
01-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Other things can affect peppering, such as the health of the fish, the quality/cleanliness of your water.

discuspaul
01-03-2013, 09:34 PM
Agreed. You may be able to make the peppering fade somewhat by adding a blue background instead of the black.

Agree - that should help.

BTW, speaking of peppering, and please forgive me for sidetracking this thread a bit, but have any of you seen the Petco full-page ad in the latest issue of TFH, (Jan.2013), on page 33, captioned: " Green with Envy" ! ?

It shows a planted tank pic with 4 discus, 3 of which are pigeon-based and quite heavily peppered.

Just found it strange that the prestigious TFH would blithely print such a pic, but hey, maybe the layout people don't know dick about discus, and didn't know better than to alert Petco that they could have selected a more acceptable photo for their no doubt costly ad !

I for one, wouldn't be 'green with envy' over those fish.

LOL - but just my observation for what it's worth.

a volar
01-03-2013, 10:16 PM
Agree - that should help.

BTW, speaking of peppering, and please forgive me for sidetracking this thread a bit, but have any of you seen the Petco full-page ad in the latest issue of TFH, (Jan.2013), on page 33, captioned: " Green with Envy" ! ?

It shows a planted tank pic with 4 discus, 3 of which are pigeon-based and quite heavily peppered.

Just found it strange that the prestigious TFH would blithely print such a pic, but hey, maybe the layout people don't know dick about discus, and didn't know better than to alert Petco that they could have selected a more acceptable photo for their no doubt costly ad !

I for one, wouldn't be 'green with envy' over those fish.

LOL - but just my observation for what it's worth.

Not only Petco Paul, I have seen dr foster and Smith and some others catalogs with heavily peppered discus.

discuspaul
01-03-2013, 11:17 PM
No kidding ? Wow.
You'd think the TFH editorial staff would by now have read enough about, and seen enough quality discus, to realize they should be showing nothing but the best fish in the mag - specially when they've been carrying Jack Wattley's columns and pics for so many years (I've been getting this mag, on & off, since the late 1950's, would you believe).
Somebody ought to point out the difference to these people, don't you think ?

hillbillyamber
01-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Does peppering go with age? I have been wondering this. I have seen many a LFS selling small discus with peppering. I think its ugly myself. But didn't know if some started out that way and ended up clean later.

Eddie
01-04-2013, 01:37 PM
Does peppering go with age? I have been wondering this. I have seen many a LFS selling small discus with peppering. I think its ugly myself. But didn't know if some started out that way and ended up clean later.

No, if anything it will get worse.