PDA

View Full Version : Discus colors that work well!

dynhd1
01-03-2013, 09:46 PM
Hi, after 15 years I have decided to set up my 180 Gallon Planted tank. I was wondering after being out of the hobby for so long what colors look the best with a high tech planted tank? the tank has been cycling/growing for two months and I am within 2 weeks of ordering 12-14, 4+ size fish from any reputable breeder on the east coast. One of each strain? Or groups of solid colors? What are your thoughts?

a volar
01-03-2013, 10:03 PM
Welcome!!!!

I'll put solid blues, but that's me :)

Eddie
01-03-2013, 10:05 PM
This is a personal preference but to me, the ultimate color for a plush green planted tank are blue varieties such as cobalts, brilliants, blue scorpions, blue diamonds or blue turqs.

Volar beat me to the punch. LOL Also, single strain tanks look SUPER clean to me and again personal preference.

http://wilddiscususa.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/aman_Discustank.jpg

a volar
01-03-2013, 10:07 PM
I forgot to tell you, regardless of color you buy, get a 5 inch or bigger discus, small ones will not do well in planted tanks

Discus-n00b
01-03-2013, 10:09 PM
I always like a single color/single strain stocking for planted tanks. Solid Red or orange stand out against the green and really draw attention to the tank, blue is more subdued but still stands out, and something like a wild type or Alenquer is a more naturalistic look. If it were me I would do blues or reds/oranges.

Check this one out - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?102085-My-90G-Discus-Planted-Tank-Obsession

discuspaul
01-04-2013, 12:23 AM
I just love a single strain planted discus tank.

Not nearly as dynamic-looking as the above-pictured tanks, I nevertheless miss this tank of mine 2 years or so ago, with just young juvie red snakeskins. Sold a bunch of them but still have 2 of them left in the same tank.

They, like almost all discus, look much better with their adult coloring, dynhd1, so you'll be doing well to get larger, mature fish in the color/strain of your choice.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/3RedSnakeSkins

Eddie
01-04-2013, 09:06 AM
I just love a single strain planted discus tank.

Not nearly as dynamic-looking as the above-pictured tanks, I nevertheless miss this tank of mine 2 years or so ago, with just young juvie red snakeskins. Sold a bunch of them but still have 2 of them left in the same tank.

They, like almost all discus, look much better with their adult coloring, dynhd1, so you'll be doing well to get larger, mature fish in the color/strain of your choice.

http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/3RedSnakeSkins

VERY nice tank! Looks super clean!

DiscusLoverJeff
01-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Can't beat a tank full of blues like the picture Eddie posted.

Although a tank of Red Melons or Marlboro Reds would be nice too.

Elliots
01-04-2013, 11:53 AM
It is your tank! Get whatever you think looks best. The first decision should be a single strain or multiple strains. After that you pick. What does someone else's opinion as to what looks best to them mean to you? It does not take much imagination to select the ones you like! Just look at the photos on SD and supplier's listings.

dr_heckel
01-04-2013, 02:10 PM
@Eddie your tank is fantastic. What plant are you using for ground cover? And do you know a source for it?

DerekFF
01-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Your taste will probably change as you go also. I started loving the blues.....then turqs......then some of the more natural browns. But in the end I think some of my favorites are blue scorps. Just such a stunner fish.

discuspaul
01-04-2013, 03:10 PM
VERY nice tank! Looks super clean!

Thanks Eddie - And yes, I do try hard to keep my planted discus tank super clean - and I think it works.

dynhd1
01-14-2013, 10:40 PM
Fish will be here on Friday, got 4 fire reds and 4 blue diamonds , thanks for the opinions will post the pics after they get settled!

discuspaul
01-14-2013, 10:45 PM
Fish will be here on Friday, got 4 fire reds and 4 blue diamonds , thanks for the opinions will post the pics after they get settled!

THAT should prove to be a very, very lovely color combo !!
Looking forward to seeing pics.

a volar
01-15-2013, 01:02 AM

nice, if you don't like the combination just get 2 or 3 more of each and set another tank :)