PDA

View Full Version : Protein Skimmer Question

DiscusLoverJeff
01-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Hello friends,

Would it be practical to replace my Remora C (which does not seem to be doing anything anymore even with a new pump) and get Reef Octopus® BH2000 HOB skimmer with external OTP 2000 pump and keep my AquaClear 70 for filtration or is the OTP 2000 overkill for a 50 gallon reef and just go with the OTP 1000? Figure for $20.00 more the pump size is double at 500gph as to the 250 gph on the OTP 1000.

I was thinking of converting a 20 gallon wet/dry into a sump with live rock and sand and get an in-sump skimmer. I can also attach a 30 gallon refugium to the sump as well but that too may just be overkill but the volume of water exchanging would be near 100 gallons. Again, could be overkill.

I was also going to replace the AquaClear 70 with a Rena XP canister for more forced water movement throughout the reef as opposed to 3 powerheads that I am using now. I can add a spray-bar to the Rena to cover most of the surface of the tank.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. But right now my skimmer is the main thing I need to get going right now as the reef not getting the proper skimming anymore and I don't want to cause too many issues.

Thanks,

Jeff

darcy
01-04-2013, 01:04 PM
You can overkill a skimmer with no problems. I'd steer clear of a canister filter,unless your just moving water through it with no media in it. They are nitrate factory's with media in them. I run a 90 with 20 gallon sump and have 2 Koralia powerheads. Lots of liverock is my filter!!

DiscusLoverJeff
01-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Thats what I was thinking of doing to Darcy, I have about 20 lbs of rock clean and ready to use.

The canister can be filled with pieces of live rock and sponges like a sump and easier to clean, but the sump can hold my skimmer and heater too.

darcy
01-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Jeff
don't put sponges in there man!! BAD!!! Been there done that type of deal,it will cause you heartbreak down the road!

darcy
01-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Double post,sorry about that!

DiscusLoverJeff
01-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Hmm, I seen some "reefers" discussing using poret foam in their canisters with 1" pieces of live rock. Will find that thread and review it.

Thanks Darcy!

a volar
01-04-2013, 01:30 PM
There's nothing better than a sump, get the bigest you can put inside stand.

Second Hand Pat
01-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Jeff, when I had my reef setup a overlarge skimmer and a sump was all that was needed. If you decide on a in sump skimmer make sure the sump can handle the footprint (plus pump) of the skimmer. I had a three chamber sump, one of the inlet with fine mesh bags, one for the skimmer and third chamber for the pump return. I would personally not have a canister filter. I do not see the need. As for flow I found with the rock structure in the tank I needed the pumps so the flow could be customized around the rock structure.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?91252-Before-Discus-I-Had-This

DiscusLoverJeff
01-04-2013, 01:51 PM
Any pictures of your sump Pat?

I have a few options for a sump. I have a 30 gallon with 2 sections (can easily add a third). I have the 30 gallon Refugium and I have the wet/dry that has small sections in it for general purposes.

My reef has been running good for 3 years now, but it is all of a sudden developing algae issues and phosphate issues. But I would like to increase the water volume and move the equipment to a sump for sure.

Second Hand Pat
01-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Here you go Jeff. This picture were leak testing prior to insertion into the stand

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Caribbean%20Aquarium/aquariumSump_Acid_Test_2.jpg

and in the stand. Skimmer was in the first chamber. I am using this sump on a discus tank today.

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad95/Second_Hand_Pat/Caribbean%20Aquarium/aquariumWorking_Sump.jpg

DiscusLoverJeff
01-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Thanks Pat for the pics. I like the design. In the first pic, where did you get the filter socs that I see?

Second Hand Pat
01-04-2013, 03:01 PM
LFS Jeff but they are cheaper online.

Dogvet06
01-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Hmm I've had my protein skimmer on my reef shut off bc I never could get it quiet. I've been fighting with severe algae growth for a while too. Guess I need to get it going again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscusLoverJeff
01-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Yeah Jaimie thats my problem, even after adding a new pump and adjust the airflow it still not doing much. I tried cleaning out the system and ports but still not much collecting in the cup. And, because of that, my algae is getting a bit out of control.

Dogvet06
01-04-2013, 05:54 PM
yeah my tank looks like the tank on finding nemo after he put the rock in the filter and all the walls were covered in algae. i scrape it off and its back the next day. im about ready to sell the whole thing bc im tired of seeing a wall of green

darcy
01-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Have you guys replaced your bulbs recently? Old bulbs will also cause algae growth!! My sump is three chambered but I have a fuge in the middle! I like cheato for exporting nutrients as well.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-04-2013, 08:18 PM
I have a brand new LED system about 5 months old. But this outbreak started about a week ago.

Dogvet06
01-04-2013, 08:48 PM
I've changed all my bulbs when this first happened and It never helped :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk