PDA

View Full Version : where to purchase water storage barrel

Dubiadiscus
01-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Hi all I ran into a major problem today with my water producing a lot of gas bubbles. Where we be a good ppace to purchase a water storage barrel? Also when do water storage I know you should run an air stone to help remove the gas should a heater also be used any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

TNT77
01-05-2013, 11:11 PM
Rubbermaid Brute containers work really well and yes use both a heater and airstone when aging.

Dubiadiscus
01-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Thanks so much.

Dogvet06
01-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Also check Craigslist for food grade barrels. I got 55 gal barrels for 15$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

matt56
01-06-2013, 12:30 AM
+1 on the brute containers. I tried to find those plastic barrels but i would have to drive 3 hours to get one. Just dont leave your heater plugged in and set it on the side of it like i did :(. Darn thing melted a quarter of the way down it lol.

Dubiadiscus
01-06-2013, 12:33 AM
Tnt77. I have another question. I will be puttimg this in my basement next to my water softener. My tank is located upstairs on the main floor, what or how would you suggest the best way to get the fresh water up to my tank from the can. I do have a 100' python. Do you think I should hookna pump to the hose and drop innthe storage tank in order to get it up to my tank?

Dubiadiscus
01-06-2013, 12:36 AM
+1 on the brute containers. I tried to find those plastic barrels but i would have to drive 3 hours to get one. Just dont leave your heater plugged in and set it on the side of it like i did :(. Darn thing melted a quarter of the way down it lol.

Matt so what your saying is dont leave heater on at all times for fear of melting? Or just make sure the heater hangs in the center of the container.

Dubiadiscus
01-06-2013, 12:38 AM

I did check craigslist but I would have at least a 2 + hour car ride to get a 55 gallon storage container. But I will keep checking for something closer.

matt56
01-06-2013, 03:02 AM
I meant dont take your heater out of the container and if you do unplug it :). As long as it is under water it will not melt the plastic, but i took it out one day to scrape the lime deposit off of the heater and left it plugged in on accident and set it on the rim. It melted its way down a quarter of the way lol.

TURQ64
01-06-2013, 10:28 AM
..and that's a big deal?..I drove 4 hours each way for mine, two at a time...3 trips=24 hrs. drive time....My fish are worth the drive.....yours?

Eddie
01-06-2013, 11:20 AM
..and that's a big deal?..I drove 4 hours each way for mine, two at a time...3 trips=24 hrs. drive time....My fish are worth the drive.....yours?

Exactly! I'd drive across the country! lol

seanyuki
01-06-2013, 11:28 AM
If you need big ones.....try this place.....130 to 530 gallons .
Doorway Water Storage Tanks are a must if your entry space is roughly 30 inches. The perfect tank for many applications & industries, Doorway Water Tanks are great for Safe Potable Drinking Water Storage, Irrigation, Rainwater Collection, Fire Protection & more.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/category/39/doorway-water-tanks

AndLaw134
01-06-2013, 12:48 PM
Tnt77. I have another question. I will be puttimg this in my basement next to my water softener. My tank is located upstairs on the main floor, what or how would you suggest the best way to get the fresh water up to my tank from the can. I do have a 100' python. Do you think I should hookna pump to the hose and drop innthe storage tank in order to get it up to my tank?

I would recommend a pump with a one way valve to prevent a back flow issue when you are done filling you tank. Because your tank is upstairs and your pump and water tank is down stairs I would also consider a wireless switch to turn off the pump. You can pick these up from most good hardware stores or electrical supply store.

The link to the plastic tub below is a good company as well I have a 160 gal tank in my fish room which is a has been a God sent. By automating or having a some little extras with your water change systems goes a long way to making you discus tank(s) enjoyable

Good luck

kimbo
01-06-2013, 01:31 PM

That's exactly what I use but got them for $10!

Bill63SG
01-06-2013, 02:03 PM

Gary,your in the middle of bumble-F,Everything is a 4 hour drive for you.Us city folk tear up at the thought,lol.

kimbo
01-06-2013, 05:41 PM
Jehmco has some biguns! But you have to weigh the drive time and cash spent....

Dubiadiscus
01-06-2013, 09:14 PM

Believe me my discus are worth it, but when you drive for a living locally and have one day off a week the last thing you want to do Is drive 4 hours. I will have to make a side stop on one of my runs to get one.nor better yet get a brute Rubbermaid 35 gallon thats all tue room i have for now.

Dubiadiscus
01-06-2013, 09:17 PM
I do appreciate everyones feed back. I now have a new project to do which I will truly enjoy doing.

Dubiadiscus
01-06-2013, 09:20 PM

My discus me a lot to me. I just recently purchased a whole house generator strictly for my discus tank..that was a lot of money there it automatically turns on in the event of a power loss.

AndLaw134
01-06-2013, 11:01 PM
My discus me a lot to me. I just recently purchased a whole house generator strictly for my discus tank..that was a lot of money there it automatically turns on in the event of a power loss.

I am thinking about this a well. How big of a generator did you get?

I understand the driving particularly if you do it for a living. But if you want to make a little trip north of the board check out these guys they have tanks for anything. Their technical drawings they are very helpful with sizing and ideas I find.

http://www.plastictanks.ca/catalog.php

I do anything for my fish too.

Last May drove down to Indianapolis to see the 500 on Sunday, Left for Maryland on the monday, to see Hans to pick up my fish 2: am r so, then back to Toronto by Tuesday mid afternoon fish were swimming in my tanks by 3:00 pm i think, About 3200 Kim's (1800 miles) in 4 days plus some shopping with the wife, good times.

Good luck every man needs at let one hobby

Dubiadiscus
01-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I am thinking about this a well. How big of a generator did you get?

I understand the driving particularly if you do it for a living. But if you want to make a little trip north of the board check out these guys they have tanks for anything. Their technical drawings they are very helpful with sizing and ideas I find.

http://www.plastictanks.ca/catalog.php

I do anything for my fish too.

Last May drove down to Indianapolis to see the 500 on Sunday, Left for Maryland on the monday, to see Hans to pick up my fish 2: am r so, then back to Toronto by Tuesday mid afternoon fish were swimming in my tanks by 3:00 pm i think, About 3200 Kim's (1800 miles) in 4 days plus some shopping with the wife, good times.

Good luck every man needs at let one hobby

Thanks for the information I do know my Wife, kids and I will be heading over there in August to Niagra Fall and to Great wolf Lodge. I will make a side trip to get one. In the mean time I will be build a place in my basement to store the water as well as make it out of sight out of mind so the wife don't complain about it :)