PDA

View Full Version : Bn spawn

krislewis3
01-07-2013, 05:45 AM
While doing a WC I noticed a nest of bn babies with the male standing guard. Question.. I know that they will get eaten the second they escape from their lair......when is it safe to remove them from the nest and their dads protection?

magewynd
01-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Now. If they are in a cave, move cave , Dad, and fry. If they are not in a cave I would try to scoop as much of the nest with everybody with a net into another tank or fry saver.

krislewis3
01-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Now. If they are in a cave, move cave , Dad, and fry. If they are not in a cave I would try to scoop as much of the nest with everybody with a net into another tank or fry saver.

In option 2, should I move dad with the babies?

magewynd
01-07-2013, 07:28 PM
If they still have the egg sac I would move Dad with them just to show them what to eat. Grind a little of their pellet food down for first meals. They'll also eat the veggies. Got to keep the water clean on these guys too. They poo a lot. If you gather them when they are small it's a lot easier. Once they get loose they are hard to catch. And you may not see them again till they larger, quarter size.

Try bristlenoseworld.com and Doug's ebook that is sold there. It is a great reference for everything bristle nose.

Have fun.

Mugwump
01-07-2013, 08:38 PM
I've siphoned them out when they don't spawn in a cave. You'll get most of them, if they're still unhatched and in a cluster, it's a plus....you can them put them in a cave in the new tank and move dad..he'll find em in there. Should he kick them out...just move him back, and move an airstone close by them, running gently....good luck..

krislewis3
01-08-2013, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the tips.....now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with 50-100 bn babies.....any suggestions?

Mugwump
01-08-2013, 08:26 AM
Raise em up and use em in your tanks in groups, for grow out, then sell off the excess. BN's are great little cleaners. If you have any rocks or decorations with algae on them, throw that in the fry tank for food. Zuchinni slices or veggies work well too,,,and crushed flake/pellets...

krislewis3
01-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Is the algea and junk on the wood nutritious for them?

magewynd
01-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Algae yes, junk? no. If the wood's been in the tank for awhile it's fine. BN's like to rasp on the wood. If you have a heavily algaed piece of wood and they won't touch it pull some of the heavy stuff off and give it a light rinse to get rid of the detritus.