PDA

View Full Version : Daily 50-75% water change question

Kingin
01-07-2013, 11:47 PM
I know daily water changes of 50-75% are best for discus quality/health. But there must be a easier way, I currently have a 65g bare bottom tank with an eheim 2217 and 2234. I age and heat my water in a 90 gal plastic drum placed next to the tank. I use a siphon to suck out crap and 50-75% water then use pitcher and refill everyday. I've noticed people have me mentioned sump systems automatic water changers etc.

With my current setup what do you recommend to make water changes a bit easier without breaking the bank. Also is sucking out the discus crap important to do everyday or water changes everyday and crap cleanup every other day?? Was looking at the eheim sludge remover for crap cleanup and a jehmco safety siphon drain. I'm new to daily water changes thanks in advance

Jeff O
01-08-2013, 12:08 AM
Since you already have the water drum next to your tank I would recommend using a water pump and a simple hose hooked up to it, place the hose into the tank and just plug in the pump. I ALWAYS syphon out any waste (I do daily 35-50% changes) however when im not able to do thoes i just take out 5 gallons of any waste and clean the pre filter. That way the left over food/crap on the buttom wont ruin your overall water quality.
-Jeff

kimbo
01-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Length of hose connected to a small pond pump. Much easier then a pitcher.

discus6628
01-08-2013, 01:39 AM
I would suggest drill use bulkhead and drill hole at 1/3 height. then connect from bulkhead with hose and shutoff value to drain. If you want to use hose to get to area that you like then use quick connector. The quick connector allow to remove hose when you done. I did a little further by run hot and cold to back of the tank so that I can fill it up much easier. My water change will be using eheim vaccum (http://www.kensfish.com/battery-operated-aquarium-gravel-cleaners.html) on left over then drain water by open the value to drain. 5 mins to drain 75% on 100g and 5-7mins to fill it up.

My setup as below:

Kingin
01-08-2013, 11:12 AM
I would suggest drill use bulkhead and drill hole at 1/3 height. then connect from bulkhead with hose and shutoff value to drain. If you want to use hose to get to area that you like then use quick connector. The quick connector allow to remove hose when you done. I did a little further by run hot and cold to back of the tank so that I can fill it up much easier. My water change will be using eheim vaccum (http://www.kensfish.com/battery-operated-aquarium-gravel-cleaners.html) on left over then drain water by open the value to drain. 5 mins to drain 75% on 100g and 5-7mins to fill it up.

My setup as below:

Love the use of the washer wall mount for drain and fill, with the fill do you age water or direct from tap and if so I thought shouldn't use warm water from tap?

Jeff O
01-08-2013, 11:40 AM
Love the use of the washer wall mount for drain and fill, with the fill do you age water or direct from tap and if so I thought shouldn't use warm water from tap?

Usually its only necessary to age water if it comes from a well or if its a low ph, people with higher ph's will have little to 0 fluctuation during the 24 hour period that a low ph would drop in.
-Jeff

Bud Smith
01-08-2013, 12:13 PM
I know daily water changes of 50-75% are best for discus quality/health. But there must be a easier way, I currently have a 65g bare bottom tank with an eheim 2217 and 2234. I age and heat my water in a 90 gal plastic drum placed next to the tank. I use a siphon to suck out crap and 50-75% water then use pitcher and refill everyday. I've noticed people have me mentioned sump systems automatic water changers etc.

With my current setup what do you recommend to make water changes a bit easier without breaking the bank. Also is sucking out the discus crap important to do everyday or water changes everyday and crap cleanup every other day?? Was looking at the eheim sludge remover for crap cleanup and a jehmco safety siphon drain. I'm new to daily water changes thanks in advance

Put a pump in your storage bin and hard pipe up to one corner of your tank with a shut-off valve - I plug my pump in a wireless outlet and use a remote to turn the pump on and off - there are different ways to do it but this works great for me
Pump - $40 to $50 - pvc piping - $20 depending how you run it - wireless outlet $10

Kingin
01-08-2013, 04:20 PM
My tap isn't well water and ph from tap is right at 7.2-7.5 and it stays after 24hrs. How about the chlorine etc and beneficial bacteria, water temp if I don't have to age water my girlfriend would love to see my blue 90 gallon drum out of the living room hahaha. Only thing I can see wrong with my tap water is the temp and the chlorine. I don't condition water or buffer it no additives just pour in after age.