PDA

View Full Version : Tank size or volume??

Plumbob
01-13-2013, 04:31 PM
Hi all

I'm new to this site so hello everyone!!
I'm not new to fish keeping or discus, I've had a marine aquarium for the last 5 years and kept discus about 10 years ago.

I've since sold up last year in the marines, salt water became to much hard work!!!
I'm now looking into setting up a grand new discus aquarium, although I went marine I've always had a soft spot for these stunning fish.

I've seen a tank which is 55" inches heigh and 36" wide. I'm just wondering if this is a suitable setup for about 6 discus fish... Volume should be on at about 500ltrs but are the dimensions ok? Do discus prefer horizontal or vertical swimming space?

Sorry if it seems like a dumb question!!

Altum Nut
01-13-2013, 05:18 PM
Welcome to Simply Discus Plumbob.

WoW...55" tall. Not your average tank size one would start out with. It will be some chore to keep glass clean unless your sending in a small kid with scuba gear to do it for you. LOL
What are your intensions...show tank? will you have any substrate and/or plants, driftwood? What size Discus?
Reason I say is a friend had a 4 ft tall and it was a pain to keep clean and sold it off.
A suitable average Discus tank should be min. 18" to 24". Keep in mind at least 10g to 15g per adult as a general rule.
There is never a dumb question.

Best of luck and enjoy the ride,
...Ralph

Plumbob
01-13-2013, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the reply..... Good point, never thought about the cleaning!!!
Will need a good magfloat!!!
It will be a show tank in the living room, sand substrate and a large piece of wood going 3/4 way up. Not going planted, I'll never reach the bottom!!
Thinking of starting with 6 or 8 juveniles. I was more concerned that 3' length might not keep them happy despite the height?

Altum Nut
01-13-2013, 10:44 PM
Sounds good as long as your upto the challenge, however I would get adults unless your planning on changing water daily and muliple feeding with juvies. Simply has many reputable sponsors that will set you up with quality Discus.
Please keep us updated with whatever you decide and pics are always manditory with your progress.

...Ralph

matt56
01-13-2013, 11:25 PM
Wow! 55 inches tall? Thats as tall as my tanks with the stand! Definitely get a big mag float...or else your gonna need to take scuba lessons ;). Definitely get adults, thats just too much of a pain to take care of for juvies. I would love to see a pic of the tank though.

a volar
01-14-2013, 03:25 AM
It will be a pain to clean it and move things inside tank, but it can be done................ I also suggest to get adults for this tank, of course that's what I'll do it where mine.