PDA

View Full Version : Bacteria in sponge filters

yliuta
01-18-2013, 11:25 AM
Hi,
I'm new to this! But have a few questions. I've done a load of reading, but can't find the answers anywhere.

Question 1.
I'm wondering if the bacteria built up in a very large sponge filter currently in a cycled cold water tank, is the same bacteria that would build up if the sponge filter was in a tropical tank.

- So, can a sponge filter be taken from a cold water tank, be put into a tropical tank, and it'll do the job? In theory, if its the same bacteria, then the filter would be ready to take the same size bio load of either cold water or tropical fish.

Question 2.
Would having a filtration system intended for much larger tanks minimise the amount of water changes required of a small tank? So, in theory, a large enough filtration system could stop the need for water changes completely? Does anybody know a formula to work this out?!

Question 3.
I realise the bacteria in the sponge filter (powered by air pump) needs oxygenated and nutrient rich water running over it, but could the pump be set to switch on for 15mins every hour? This would quarter the electricity bill. (Granted, an air pump is inexpensive to run.) I read that the bacteria in filters die after 6 hours.

Question 4.
I read that some catfish will eat discus mucus from the tank glass, but I don't really like catfish. Would several snails do a similar job? If so, which variety of snails?

Thanks a lot for your help. This forum is really useful!
Tim

cjr8420
01-18-2013, 11:55 AM
1 yes but at ur risk because u could be bringing nasties with the bacteria
2 no with discus u have to change water
3 its possible but why chance this with discus
4 snails wont keep up u have to wipe tank down
from ur questions i wouldnt try discus yet they are very high maintance cleaning and WC are needed.they are costly and ur trying to save money by only running air pump 15min an hour .but good luck when u try

Poco
01-18-2013, 12:21 PM
from ur questions i wouldnt try discus yet they are very high maintance cleaning and WC are needed.they are costly and ur trying to save money by only running air pump 15min an hour .but good luck when u try

+1 if you try saving money with discus you will end up paying more to replace fish not to mention money on meds. Discus is a relatively expensive hobby to have and you can't cut corners.

yliuta
01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Great, thanks very much for your help with the swift replies.

I'm not looking to get Discus yet - just trying to answer all the questions in my head, before even dipping my toe in! Being a designer I want to create my own setup thats going to run as environmentally friendly and efficiently as possible, while still more than meeting the fish's requirements. Still on Research phase.

Thanks